Thursday, October 15, 2020

Trick or Treat - the Flimsy



Clearly I wasn't quite finished with orange . . . 

Introducing Trick or Treat, the flimsy.

This will become one side of a two-sided
kitchen table quilt for use each October.

After countless design changes over the past year,
this design was inspired by the Jelly Roll Drag Race
shared by Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics.

(after all the cutting and trimming involved with Resplendent,
I needed something simple and quick for this table quilt)

T or T was made with strips cut long ago from the stash,
meaning they were all different lengths 
rather than the standard length of a coordinated jelly roll,
so my purple slashes did not line up like hers -
and that is just fine with me.




The center section was squared at 50" x 50"




Each of the four different inner border strips
finished at 2" enlarging  the top to 54" x 54".




Four different outer borders were cut at 6.5" . . .




. . . for a quilt top that measures 66" x 66".

And then it was on to making a scrappy backing.




I used a fabulous crow and pumpkin print remnant 
with more already-cut 6" strips to increase the width.




The upper and lower widths were pieced
from well-aged yardage from the stash
to make a back that measures 78" x 78".

(any excess backing will be die cut into 1.5" strips
for one of my planned Dumpster Diving quilts)




And I finally found the perfect quilt
for this well-aged Patrick Lose for RJR striped binding.

Trick or Treat will not be quilted right away -
I won't need the finished quilt until October 1, 2021.

NOW I'm ready to shift to a different color palette.

Stay tuned to see which of the many gestating projects
inserts itself at the front of the line to be worked on next.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Many attempts to communicate are nullified by saying too much.”     
Robert Greenleaf

13 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

That will certainly bring in the fall on your kitchen table. Love it. Just perfect for the season.

MissPat said...

Love that binding stripe. What a festive October table cover this will be.
Pat

Nann said...

Too bad you can't display the quilt so that both sides show-- because that back is terrific! And I like the slashes of purple among the strips on the front.

Julierose said...

I just LOVE this one--that crows on pumpkins fabric is amazing--it makes me smile!! ;)))
Just right for October table topping...
Lovely work Hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

I love the back! I have a jelly roll of Halloween that needs to be used. Like yours, it will be for next year.

swooze said...

Your slashes look like little bats! I’d say they aligned perfectly for this Halloween quilt.

LA Paylor said...

the color is uplifting!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That looks like SEW much fun, Julie!! I totally get the need to play between more intense quilting projects. Now, back to the real work! :o))

Janie said...

Orange and crows and pumpkins, so much fun! Quick, I need a pumpkin spice latte.
Fall!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I absolutely love the backing!! I find myself wanting the "breaks" in the strips to be rearranged so I've never actually made a strict race quilt ;-)

Mari said...

What else could that be called except Trick or Treat? It's lovely, and will work into November as well. I like that the slashes are more randomn than lined up, too. Happy Halloween to you!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lots of Autumn colour at your home, the backing for Trick or Treat is awesome!! Definitely I'm looking forward to which project pops up next off.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

its perfect for halloween!