Here is Resplendent in all its finished glory.
(taken with the assistance of younger son -
it is good to have my photoshoot partner back)
Quilted with my liberated all over free motion fans
using Glide thread in Coffee.
It was a very gray and damp afternoon
thanks to the heavy cloud cover from Hurricane Delta.
In fact, several of our photos didn't turn out
because of the overcast skies
coupled with deep shade under the trees.
The wind flipped a few real leaves on top of the quilt
and I didn't bother to brush them away.
I am so in love with this quilt . . .
For those who asked how I enlarged my version,
I pieced four extra leaves and set them into a full-width row
positioning that new row across the quilt's center.
(look closely to see how the orientation of the string blocks
in my extra leaves was rotated 90 degrees)
That extra "row" gave me a quilt that measures 56" x 68"
(instead of Bonnie's 56" x 56" square -
link to her pattern is in the previous post)
Hopefully you can see the color shading
in the rich brown Grunge inner border.
(if you think you recognize the binding fabric,
I used it for the barn in Missouri Color Story)
"Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead
has never watched them dancing on a windy day."
Shira Tamir
Since leaves do fall from trees,
I just couldn't resist this particular shot.
“It’s the first day of autumn!
A time of hot chocolatey mornings,
and toasty marshmallow evenings,
and, best of all, leaping into leaves!”
Winnie The Pooh
And we aren't sure why
but there were two of these toy backhoes
near the park's playground.
Another too good to pass up photo op.
“Every leaf speaks bliss to me,
fluttering from the autumn tree.”
Emily Brontë
Resplendent is now happily at home
on the back of my recliner.
* * *
Several of you commented on Resplendent
being a "fast" finish --
Yes and no - there was a LOT of cutting out
especially since I went super scrappy,
there were a LOT of small pieces and
LOTS (!) of HSTs for sewing/trimming,
not to mention a LOT of pressing.
The fabric pull was completed before the pattern's release
so when the time came, cutting could begin without delay.
The biggest reason it seems "fast" though
was because I worked on only one project.
(aside from Dumpster Diving 10's leader-enders)
Elapsed time was three weeks
from the first rotary cut to the final binding stitches.
Also - for those who asked about the backing,
it is Harvest Berry by Cheryl Haynes
of Prairie Grove Peddler for Benartex.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The work is always inside you. This knot does not get untied by listening to the stories of other people.”
Rumi








23 comments:
Truly stunning. Great choice of quilting pattern and backing fabric and settings for photos. Beautiful
I love how you added the extra row and I did notice the leaf placement. Loved your park photo shoot :)
What an amazing finish--just gorgeous! What a lovely quilt to snuggle under;))) beautiful work hugs, Julierose
Your version is beautiful! Enjoy reading your blogs.
Love your version of Bonnie's quilt!!! Your way of enlarging it isn't even noticeable and I like the alternate gray backgrounds for the blocks. The backing is a perfect complement to the front and the binding was made for it. Great photo shoot too. I'm thinking of getting the pattern myself since fall is my favorite season. (purrfection8@gmail.com)
Absolutely fabulous! I love how you modified it to be rectangular and it looks so inviting on the chair. As always, the beauty shots are a delight to the eyes :)
Your name for this quilt is perfect! It is absolutely stunning and congrats on such a quick finish.
Great photo shoot. Nice to have an assistant.
Pat
oh wow, I LOVE it. I love all the colors and the different piecing arrangements all. Even gray with it, makes the colors shine. One project at a tine, huh? are you "turning over a new leaf" Julie?
LeeAnna
The pefect Autumn quilt- a real stunner! The fabrics really glow. Beautifully done.
It’s a wonderful quilt! The colors are beautiful and so true to a Fall day. I love the binding. I love it as a rectangular quilt. That breaks up the 4-square design of the original in a very pleasing way. Lots of great photos for this quilt.
Oh, I really love this quilt! I would not have thought to use all those grays, but it works so well! And it looks like you had a fun time photographing it. I also wanted to mention that I love your quotes. I especially like your end quote: “The work is always inside you. This knot does not get untied by listening to the stories of other people.”
Rumi That's great advice to remind me it's time to stop reading blogs and start doing something, lol!
“Resplendent” is the perfect name for this quilt! I’m crazy about the way you enlarged the quilt with the extra row and the orientation of the strings seems better to me than Bonnie’s! It looks terrific! Stay well.
Fabulous finish, Julie!! Super scrappy appeals to me. Perfect border and binding selections for the quilt, too!
Gorgeous quilt, and I love the grays with the oranges/browns.
Resplendent is the perfect name for your quilt - screams autumn (in a very good way). Mother Nature providing natural embellishments during your photo shoot was icing on the cake. I have my fabric pulled, but need to round up more background scraps, finish a few "must do" quilt projects, and then I can begin. I'm always fascinated by your quilts - colorful, creative, and well named. Thanks for sharing and inspiring
it is just fabulous!! and the photo shoot was perfect for it!! beautiful colors!! enjoy snuggling up under it!!
Love it! And I especially love that the real leaves came dancing in to join their fabric siblings!
It's so tricky to enlarge someone else's quilt. Great idea here. I love your fabric choices and the border. Of course. I always love pieced borders.
How nice to have your quilting assistant home again. Something good in this horrible year.
A wonderful quilt! And a great photo shoot, love all the falling leaves!
Stunning finish!!
This is just stunning Julie! Love the scrappy fall look so much with the soft, neutral background that just makes everything pop! How wonderful to get the outdoor pics too.:)
So very pretty! Excellent job.
Post a Comment