Friday, October 9, 2020

Resplendent - the Flimsy



First step was to sew the center section together.

"Autumn is a second spring, where every leaf is a flower."
Albert Camus




This photo shows the colors more accurately.

"I hope I can be the autumn leaf,
who looked at the sky and lived.
and when it was time to leave,
gracefully it knew life was a gift."
Dodinsky




And then the pieced borders were sewn in place.

Even with my enlargement of the pattern
everything fit together perfectly.

56" wide x 68" long

(Appalachian Autumn pattern by Bonnie Hunter)




From the design wall to the pool noodles -
ready for pin basting.

(I unrolled two other projects so I had
the use of my three extra long noodles)




Thread color chosen . . .

"Autumn whispered to the wind,
'I fall; but always rise again.'"
Angie Weiland-Crosby




And because it has been six months 
since Max and I have worked together,
I used leftover HSTs and offcuts for quilting practice

Bonus:  four table mats for seasonal use.




Sneak peek at Resplendent's liberated free motion quilting . . . 

(and I ordered another 30-yard roll
of batting so I can get busy on some
of those many other tops waiting in the closet)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I listened, motionless and still; 
And, as I mounted up the hill, 
The music in my heart I bore, 
Long after it was heard no more."
William Wordsworth

 

25 comments:

Annie said...

This quilt is a magnificent beauty, Julie!!! I so love your color scheme. A true depiction of the season. I could gaze at it for hours at a time.

Lynn said...

Looks beautiful. I've also bought the pattern. When you say you enlarged it, I see yours is rectangular, did you change the size of the whole block and sashing?

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Gorgeous! I love your border. And love those minis! Hope you don't mind if I link them into our monthly mini quilts at the end of the month. Fabulous!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gorgeous, Julie!! Good idea to use up the leftovers on mug rugs to give Max a test run. I'm loving the pumpkin patch backing fabric you've chosen for your quilt.

Julierose said...

WOW you are fast!! this is just lovely--and Resplendent is a perfect title for this saturated color quilt...hugs, Julierose

Vicki in MN said...

What a gorgeous fall quilt, great vibrant colors.

Teresa said...

Its a gorgeous quilt and the poetry is such a nice touch. I think it is a true Ode to Autumn. I do like the grey you have used as it reminds of an autumn sky.

Judy in Michigan said...

Love the quilt, love the poetry, love your creativity and artistry.

Ellie said...

Love the quilt. Thanks for sharing! And the poems are like the icing on the cake!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Holy Buckets - that came together so fast - and it is so gorgeous!!

MissPat said...

Wow, that was fast. And you're losing no time in getting it quilted, which is a good thing. I love the backing fabric as well. Thanks for the poetic nod to autumn.
Pat

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Resplendent is very well named. I love it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What Nancy said~ I love it too, you have a knack for naming.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your quilt is so much prettier than the inspiration quilt.

Magpie Sue said...

Those autumn colors really sing against the gray - sort of like the leaves against our currently gray skies! This is a wonderful quilt.

Janie said...

I love the orange and the border!
'but always rise again' good quotes and poems, thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

That was a quick make! I can see why...it's the perfect way to bring the colors and splendor of Autumn inside to enjoy.

Mari said...

Oh, that truly is resplendent! And yay for having it ready to quilt up. Hope you and Max have a fun time with those basted quilts!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh so lovely take on autumn colors. It tried two blocks in light blue scrap background and one in darker turquiosey background. Kind of like them. I would want it bigger like yours Super job!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful! Inspired idea to add the extra four leaves creating quite a different look and I also like the way you've not stuck to the pattern by using two background colours.

Angie said...

Great quilt! Love the colors, blocks, setting...the result is very smile-inducing!

Nann said...

Wow! That was fast! Your version is wonderful...indeed, resplendent!

Diane Koch said...

This is Oh, So Pretty!, Julie. I love this pattern and colors, so tempting to do, but had just started another fall quilt. I don't have the deep fabric stash in these colors, so would have to stock up. Do you know how many different fabrics you used? And love the poetry also!

gayle said...

I've been valiantly resisting this pattern since the moment Bonnie Hunter first showed it, and now you've gone and made it EVEN HARDER to resist...
I love the way you've enlarged it, too!

Cathy said...

Oh my! I don’t know how I missed this, but your Respendent quilt is totally fabulous. Congrats on a gorgeous finish! (BTW, I think Feedly switches its blog post sorting occasionally from Most Recent to Most Popular, and things get lost until it reshuffles. It’s rather annoying).