Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The 70s Quilt is Finished and Delivered



Here is the finished front of the 70s quilt.

70" wide x 87" long




I absolutely love the quilted texture.




The thread color completely disappears.

(so glad Chris taught me so much about thread choices)




Ms. Zinnia's scrappy fabric choices really sing now.




I only had a few places where I had to
seriously detour my stitching path
to accommodate her extra thick points.




This is the finished back of the quilt.

For those with good eyes 
the quilt is not truly "square"
but I knew that would happen
because her original blocks weren't.




I'm so happy with how "flat" the quilt lays
considering the condition of the top
when it was handed off to me.




I've mentioned before that this is a heavy quilt.

I weighed it after it was finished - almost 6 lbs.




I even used one of the shirt pockets for the label.

* * *

I had wanted to take this outdoors for a photo shoot but
since (1) we've had nothing but rainy or very damp days
since it was finished, (2) the quilt isn't mine, and 
(3) I had no plans to wash this before delivery,
indoor photos ended up having to suffice.

* * *

Delivery of the quilt took place in a light rain on the
last day before our "stay at home" rules took effect. 

The grandson is in a high-risk group for COVID-19
so while he stood in his garage watching me
I put the bagged quilt on the hood of his truck and went back
to our car while he took the bag and set it inside his garage.

Not quite the way I envisioned 
sharing the finished quilt with him
but then so many things right now 
are not what we thought they would be.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“He who can listen to the music in the midst of noise can achieve great things.”
Vikram Sarabhai


24 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I am most fond of scrappy quilts and the scrappier the better. Love this one and the quilting texture. Sometimes I think the imperfections in a scrappy quilt simply add to their character. Great job and I am glad he is now able to enjoy his quilt during this difficult time.

Julierose said...

Oh I'll bet he will just be as snug as a bug in a rug under that lovely quilt...I like your quilting a lot those small Baptist Fans really pull the whole thing together nicely...great work;))) hugs, Julierose

Lesley Gilbert said...

You did an amazing job with what you had to fix - it looks fantastic :)

Millie said...

You did a magnificent job with this. The end result is truly stunning! Congratulations.

EYSchmitt said...

Job well done!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Silk purse from a sow's ear. You did a great job- the piecing, the borders, the back, the quilting, all work together for this. Congratulations for finishing well.

Vicki W said...

It is a super cool quilt! Glad you rescued it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful job, Julie!! SEW sorry about the anticlimactic delivery. Off to see if I can find what color thread you chose!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Wow, you truly made a great looking quilt out of such a random collection of blocks! The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Excellent border choices to complement the blocks and contain the chaos. I'm sure the recipient loves it, even if the hand-off was a disappointment for you.

QuiltGram said...

I’m positive that this quilt will remain in my mind forever. It’s so unique and energetic. To me, it’s like a magnet, drawing me in. I also noticed your inspired quote of the day! What a perfect match with this amazing unique quilt. I too agree with comments about the quilting choice. Another visual reminder for me to use this design. Almost don’t want to admit that I haven’t ever chosen this design yet. And thanks for the pictures and post.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is positively magnificent; I love each and every bit of this quilt and the back story. I, too, am brokenhearted along with you at the method of hand-off of this treasure; such a sad thing that we're all living through right now, a day at a time. Well done-- I'm a big FAN of the quilting on this one. Sew-- what color thread did you use?

Lindah said...

The wonderful border colors make this whole quilt sparkle. I love that the quilting adds texture but does not distract with thread. Would love to know more about Chris' teaching on choosing thread color. That is one thing that I agonize over.

Janie said...

Congratulations on a super finish. Your choices to overcome obstacles are inspiring.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, a lovely quilt! I keep having another look back at all the scrappy mix of fabrics, delighful!

Robin said...

Oh, you did such a good job! I know it was a challenge at times but so satisfying to have it turn out so well. I made a Halloween quilt a few years ago and we had an extended family drawing to see who would get it. The person who won lives out of state so I sent it in the mail. I never heard back. Sigh~ The reward of seeing the recipient's smile as they unfold the quilt or getting a hug is a bonus that I'm sorry you missed out on this time.

Mari said...

Oh, it turned out so well! I'm sure he loves it, and what a great time to receive it, just when we have to be all cut off from each other. It might not have been the most satisfying handoff, but you know where it went and that it will be a beautiful thing for that family. And just wait until the sister opens her birthday gift! Pretty sure Grandma would be happy with how her project turned out (square or not.)

audrey said...

This is beautiful Julie! Love the rich, bold look to the quilt. The border additions are perfection. All your stitching just adds such a marvelous texture to it too. Hope it's well appreciated. This is a masterpiece.:)

O'Quilts said...

you did a really wonderful job...brilliant

Mystic Quilter said...

You must be thrilled with this finish Julie! I am amazed at the weight, no wonderful you had to fight to get it quilted, but well worth it, the quilting pattern is ideal.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is just amazing - and I can just imagine his ohhing and ahhing over this quilt!!! Wonderful job!!

Preeti said...

Such a riot of colors and it works beautifully!!!

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely finish! I certainly hope he gave you a call of THANK YOU for doing this.

Elaine Adair said...

Try again - I LOVE the quilt AND the backing!

Magpie Sue said...

Perfection.