In July 2018 Cherie of the Quilted Jonquil
gave me these leftover pieces and parts
from one of her ongoing RSC projects before
They've been sitting in a project box since then -
waiting for the right idea to come along.
I labeled the project box Circumspect for "well-considered"
Little did I know that was a prophetic choice.
It definitely took a while for that idea to arrive.
In January of 2020 I happened upon this image online
and instantly thought of those waiting pieces and parts.
(inspiration quilt from the Temecula Quilt Company's
book titled Returing to Temecula / Patchwork Plates design)
I took apart quite a few of the paired broken dishes blocks
and assembled a few more from the remaining parts.
(Cherie spins her seams so lots of seam-ends
had to be re-stitched once the pairs were taken apart)
The shirting blocks were then paired with squares cut
from two companionable long-stashed greens
to create blocks that measured 4.5" x 8.5"
Here they are randomly pinned on the design wall
ready to be clipped and webbed into a quilt top.
I don't think I'll fuss with rearranging anything -
I like the scrappiness just the way it is.
Ta- Da!
A quilt top all sewn together and pressed.
But now I'm thinking that it needs borders . . .
After a bit of rummaging one evening
I pulled this grayish-brown from the stash
to use for borders and binding.
The fabrics to the left are for a scrappy back.
I cut strips for the borders and sewed them in place.
NO NO NO -- NOT good.
So I used my new razor ripper
(shared by Mrs. Goodneedle here)
and had all four long strips removed
in less time that it would have taken
to use my regular seam ripper
on one short side.
Impressed I am.
With the top settled,
I started on the scrappy back
only to find that the plan there
wasn't working so well either.
Back to the stash . . . again.
In one of the resource boxes
I found several lengths of
Carrie Bloomston's Story newsprint
left after previous projects.
With only a few seams to be stitched
Circumspect will soon have a much better backing.
(yes - there are two slightly different shades
in the backing strips - why?
Some are from 42" wide yardage and others
are from 108" wide back yardage)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“People are hungry for stories. It’s part of our very being. Storytelling is a form of history, of immortality too. It goes from one generation to another.”
Studs Terkel








15 comments:
I like the soft green background squares. You chose a good color for those blocks.
nice broken dishes project. I like the pink one too! I haven't tried the zipper ripper yet look good.
I would be interested to know what happened with the pretty floral backing, Julie. That newsprint backing (in two shades) will work really well, too. You and your process... Glad to hear that ripping out seams is now a breeze (since that seems to be your favorite part of the quilting process!!) :P
I love the green "mooshy" print you set against the plaids--just a perfect pairing..nice work hugs from afar Julierose
I love the look of this. Are you going to try something else for a border or have you tossed that whole idea out the window?
LOVE this quilt! The softness of it. The use of shirts. Oh my! You gotta tell us - why did you not like the gray border? Did it drag it down? Time to collect some more old shirts at the Goodwill.
Alternate block quilts are always charming. What fun to use shirting stripes and plaids.
I really like this quilt top. Good job!
Oh I really like this one! Love all the plaids in it!!
Great progress! And thanks for sharing your razor ripper tool, what a useful timesaver.
Love the inspiration quilt and your version as well! and thank you for the idea to use that little shaver to undo errant seams, will have to look for those!
I love traditional blocks. One of the first quilt classes I took was based on Roberta Horton's "Stripes and Plaids". Yours is totally fabulous.
Love the colours and the secondary diagonals that appear.
I love everything about plaids, and I love everything about this quilt!! :)
I took away the border because it was too heavy and it made the quilt top look dowdy. Much better with no border at all.
Post a Comment