I last posted about this project HERE
when all of the blocks were finished.
The project's introduction post is HERE.
I also shared it early on over at the AHIQ group blog
(click HERE for that post)
and on Sujata's Basket Full of Scraps blog
as part of the Unconventional and Unexpected Challenge.
(click HERE for that post)
Created using the process described in
Teresa Rawson's X Marks the Block tutorial.
(permanent link in the sidebar)
And now, eight months later,
I have a finished quilt top AND a pieced back.
The top measures 50" x 60"
For those of you eagle-eyed readers,
I made 35 blocks but the top contains 30.
Why the change?
Mostly because this saturated pieced backing
wasn't quite long enough for the final row
and the resulting 70" length.
(Note added later:
This quilt top and back were gifted to a friend
whose husband fell head over heels for it)
I used four of the leftover blocks
to piece this 20" square table mat
for our dining room table.
Quilted using my favorite
liberated free motion fans
and Glide thread in Tomato.
DH's newly wood-turned bowl looks spectacular on it.
* * *
And for those wondering where
my weekly Optic Strings update is,
I took last week off on that project.
Hope to get back on track with it this week.
* * *
And this precious young man
is now THREE years old.
Happy Birthday, Little Man!
Thank you for the pure joy
you've brought to our lives.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life as an unfailing antidote against the boredom and disenchantments of later years, the sterile preoccupation with things artificial, and the alienation from the sources of our strength.”
Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder






12 comments:
Wow, you really brought life to your inspiration piece! You really stepped it up a notch. It is beautiful.
Wow perfect title for this one--it is definitely luminous--and beautiful...
and Little man is a cutie--how precious..;))) hugs, Julierose
Your stash is loaded with beautiful brights. Great finishes.
Luminous looks lovely!! THREE??? Happy Birthday, Little Man!
Love that golden glow! Congrats on the finish.
WOW!!! Stunning piece. The table topper is a beautiful bonus. Love the quote of the day.
Your quilt is so dynamic in color - looks fantastic.
The gold fabric looks like crinkled gold leaf. I think I'd have rummaged around to find another length of fabric to make the backing longer. But I know what it's like to have a design firmly lodged in your mind and how hard/impossible it is to change it.
I can only imagine how rich this quilt looks in person. The fabrics just shine. Great finish and the backing so interesting. Pieced backings are the best.:)
Great name because it definitely glows. Love it! And every time I see those liberated fans I feel the urge to try some but never do. I need to build up confidence first and maybe try some on a chalk board.
Luminous is well.... Luminous!! I love those colors together! and little man.... oh so cute!
Congratulations on having a completed top and backing, you really couldn't have come up with a better name for the quilt! Stunning bowl and, as you say, perfect on the mat. Love the coloured balls of fabric at home in the bowl. On to Little Man - what a sweetie and can't believe it's three years since you were telling us of his arrival.
Post a Comment