Friday, May 10, 2019

The Letter J




A long, long time ago this free-pieced letter J
was gifted to me by Judy in Michigan (no blog),
one of many online friends from the days 
when Tonya R. was blogging.

It was in "that project box" 
along with more large pieces from




Four narrow scrap strips of solids
helped me turn that letter J into
the center of this scrappy medallion flimsy.




The finished quilt measures 16.5" x 16.5"

The center block's pebbles were quilted 
using Glide thread in Linen.

The echoed swirls border and the outer border 
were quilted using variegated Affinity thread in Aquamarine.




Like the first four pieces, 
this one was bound using leftover binding
and used up two partially-wound bobbins 
from previous projects.

I've hung this happy little quilt on the wall in my studio.

It makes me smile.

* * *

And to all those who have left comments this week
but haven't heard back from me, there's a good reason.

Another back tooth developed a fractured root
so it was off to the oral surgeon to have it removed
since there is no "fix" available.

Since then I've been recovering in the recliner
and am happy to say that this one appears
to be healing with less trauma than the last one.

Rest assured, I have read your comments
and appreciate each one but I need to
invoke retroactive comment amnesty.

Thanks for understanding.


Quiltdivajulie

9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that you had trouble with another tooth, Julie. Your quilted J medallion is just darling! Once DH puts up my gallery wire, I may have to make one for my own studio.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the colors and the quilt. Oh my, dental pain is one of the worst. I think it is because the tooth is so close to the brain, the nerve impulses don't have very far to go. I have no sewing to show because I have been immersed in scrap bags in my garage trying to tame them so we can get our cars back in the garage. Very long project.

Kaja said...

Funnily enough, as I was reading this I was thinking 'this makes me smile' and then you said exactly that. I'm sorry you have been in dental hell and hope you will soon be fully operational again.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great little piece...such vibrant colours and wonderful quilting. I also like what you did with your seasonal blocks. Inspiring to me.

Barb said...

what a charming quilt! love the solid borders with the scrappy bits.
Sorry to hear about your tooth. Hope you're doing well. I I broke my jaw when I was 14 which caused lots of problems and I've had about 10 root canals and a lot of dental work, so I get it.
xo

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh my, the choice of pebbles for the center is PERFECT....the echo the dots and really make the J sing. I'm loving all these small projects that are clearing away the project boxes....very inspiring. I haven't had a finish in awhile and am really getting the itch to move something, really anything forward.

Judy in Michigan said...

I'm so happy that "J" found a happy place to shine. Those were some fun times working with Tonya. Hope you feel better fast.

Mystic Quilter said...

So sorry to read about the dental problem, but love the finished project. Hope you're back on board again soon.

Nifty Quilts said...

This one makes me smile too! I hope your mouth is back to normal, or nearly, by now.