Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Realizations


I know that a lot of you groan/laugh/cringe/sigh
when I share photos after I do a major clean up.

I get it - really, I do.

But there is something about that process
that helps me clarify what I want to be working on
and where I want to put my energies.




And many of you groan/laugh/cringe/sigh
when I share a photo like this one 
of all the different projects I have in project boxes.

Many of these are still in the gestation phase
meaning they may or may not ever happen
but some sort of fabric pull took place in anticipation.

Others are cut out and ready to sew.

Still others are waiting to be cut out.

It's all okay with me - my brain works that way.

I like things neat and easy to find when the urge strikes.




As you can tell, one of those clean-ups happened
over the past few days and I have to say it feels
pretty darned awesome to walk into the studio now.

So why did I title this post Realizations?

For a number of reasons - including these:

1.  Despite a boat load of good intentions,
I am not going to make pincushions - 
so I've given my stash of crushed walnut shells 
to a couple of the women in the Wednesday group.

2.  The project box I had started for another Scrap Vortex quilt
has been dismantled with the contents sorted into several 
small batches of related scraps so I can make several
liberated mini quilts or other small projects.

3.  The t-shirts younger son had stashed for a someday quilt
have been sorted through with his input.
There were only two that survived the process
and they will become pillows for his apartment.

4.  I downsized a while back in terms of the size of quilt tops
I prefer to make -- typically 48" x 60" range.
Now I'm thinking I might want to drop the size 
on some of the gestating projects to wall quilt range.
That way I can play with more different combinations.

5.  I have filled a large box with books 
and patterns that will be donated 
to the book sale during this year's Davies Quilt Show.
(I'm not going to make any of the projects and 
I don't need/want the stress of seeing them on my shelves)

6.  And as much as I enjoy teaching classes,
after the end of this year I'm seriously thinking about
ending that process so there is more time for making and
other things that have been set aside for too long.
(I love sharing what I do here on the blog and I have
ZERO plans to change that part of my process)

* * *



With all that said and shared,
I'll be back next Monday with another post.

For now I need to sit and sew / quilt . . . 



Quiltdivajulie

27 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty studio!

Mary said...

I am always inspired when you show pictures of your clean and organized quilting space. I hope you continue to do so on a regular basis.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It is so very liberating to organize and clarify goals. I do it at least twice a year. Your organization is encouraging to me!

Debbie said...

Our creative freedom allows us to shift and change direction. The hard part is recognizing where we want to be. Good for you on all fronts.

Pamela Arbour said...

I appreciated your comments and your process and pics. I am feeling pretty much the same as you. I am currently on a year long process of getting my projects sorted like I want them and to make sure I have all of the fabric needed to finish them. I used to be the queen/king quilter but, like you, I am going more to the lap size from now on. I do have several queen/kings to finish in the near future but I don't plan to start any more! Your studio looks very nice and organized.

Diane N. said...

I truly need someone like you to HELP me organize my quilt room, but maybe I need to quilt in my own way. Love the look of your sewing room.
Diane

Nancy said...

Oh, those realizations that come in the sorting process. I, too, have gone through my supplies periodically and drawn some of the same conclusions. It's nice to have some breathing room on the shelves. The teaching- I admire those of you who travel and teach. I'm not sure everyone has an appreciation for the work that goes on behind the scenes to make classes flow smoothly and to have lots of inspiration pieces ready. It's huge!

gayle said...

I didn't groan/laugh/cringe/sigh so much as just think "Hmm... Look at all those nifty project boxes..."

Mari said...

Let's hear it for clarity and cleaning out. A good part of creativity is knowing when something isn't working. All great artists painted over their canvasses when they felt it wasn't working, after all. Make the things that make you happy, whatever size they are. They will certainly be beautiful, and beauty is its own reward. And so is neatness! :) Keep on stitching on!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Well good for you! Cleaning out always gets me motivated to make something totally new! I love "realizations". And, it sounds like others will benefit from the clean out as well. Win/win!

Kathleen said...

Funny - i just see all the open spaces - i have a tendancy to fill up all the available space - so seeing open space is just shocking !!!

compusword said...

Great post, will share it with my quilting group. I agree with liking to find something easily when I want it - that urges me onward.
Good for you for realizing you need to pull back from teaching. Call it a sabbatical? Liz in Houston

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love to read your thoughts. I have been doing a lot of reflecting and making choices what to work on. I haven't written down the steps or areas yet, but making the decisions to jettison what is superfluous. I feel encouraged reading your post.

Kay said...

I admire your "realizations". Back in 2005, again in 2010 I too did some major "realizations" changing for my life, and I've never looked back. I retired in December 2012, and I feel very fortunate and blessed to enjoy life with so much less stress. Lately I have been feeling the need to sort, clean, organize, and prioritize my creative space. Your post may be the encouragement I need to get this done. I'm far more creatively productive when my space is organized, and I can find "stuff" easily. Thank you

Robby said...

Sometimes, taking stock can be a freeing process, or at least a clarifying one. Glad to hear you'll be continuing to share your creativity here.

Magpie Sue said...

Look at all that empty space in your closet!!!

Jeannine said...

I like seeing and hearing about your process. Thanks for your list. I've done some of this - usually I think, "what was I thinking? what century am I ever going to do this/finish this?!" I do belong to a quilt guild and every year we have a silent auction - you can bring 3 different groupings to auction off with the proceeds going to the guild. One way to try to downsize things that I'm just not going to use and maybe someone else will.

audrey said...

What a great post. I smiled the whole way through reading this as I think much the same way! There's just something about having potential projects all stacked up together with the fabrics blending/melding that feels good. I love pulling them out occasionally and mulling over the idea I have or maybe even trying to come up with the look from scratch and letting the fabrics lead the way! Whether it ever comes to fruition is a totally different matter. There is real value in having this part of the process interwoven into the rest of our quilting efforts!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

As your separated-at-birth-twin you must know that you need not explain a thing. I get it. I get you. Now I am feeling guilty that your space is cleaner than mine!!

Heidi said...

I can relate, I love clean desks, too....
And I simply love your scrap quilt.... so gorgeous !

Ann said...

I think it's good to clean up, clear out and consider what we can and want to accomplish annually. Our goals and abilities change. If we don't do this we are leaving a huge mess for our heirs. I'm trying to move some things out, too.

Carol E. said...

I could be more productive and happier if I could keep my stuff organized like you do. I just can't seem to keep up with it. I have accepted that about myself.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely studio! I find it usually quite productive having a clean-up now & then, it's very satisfying. And things can be found more easily, even it doesn't last for long! I too have been making smaller throw sized quilts lately, it's a great way to try out more ideas!

Kaja said...

Clearing any space helps me clear out my mind, so I get the tidy studio thing. But then when I am actually working, order seems to go out the window and I operate quite happily in what probably looks like total chaos. Enjoy your sewing!

cdpquilter said...

What an inspiring post! My sewing room is usually organized but last Monday I spent the day cleaning and dusting that space. I also sorted and made keep-or-donate decisions about certain projects. I am basking in a feeling of accomplishment. My sewing mojo is elevated.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it! I love to see your thoughts and your process - and as always I am inspired by you!!!! I love the t shirt process - I have bags of them.... that may be the summer project ( to sort) when boys are here!!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm a little late to the party but have really enjoyed reading this post, I am now in the throes of putting in place new ideas for managing my sewing space, fabrics, paperwork and so forth.