Monday, May 15, 2017

Design Decision for Scrapbook Quilt



I've made up my mind.

This was my first test block
and I love the look of it

so

I'm going to use my 4.5" scrapbook squares
to make 8.5" scrappy economy blocks.

(8" finished block)




These are the pieces ready to sew up the second one.

* * *

In case anyone else wants to play along:

Center square is 4.5"

I cut one 5.5" square and quartered it diagonally 
to make the blue triangles.

After they were sewn and pressed in place,
I trimmed them so there was a quarter inch seam allowance
on all four sides.

I cut two 5.5" squares and cut each in half diagonally
to create the black triangles.

After these were sewn and pressed in place
I squared the block to 8.5"

(there are also lots of tutorials online
for economy blocks made with 
2.5" and 5" center squares) 

* * *

I have 24 4.5" squares for now.

If I make a 6 block wide x 8 block long layout,
I need 24 more 4.5" squares.

It might take a while to make those
(I need to finish a few more projects 
that give me leftover scraps to play with)
but there's lots of happy, scrappy fun ahead!

* * *

Linking up with Em's Scrapbag
and Moving It Forward.

CLICK HERE to see more.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Let's work hard, but take the pressure off ourselves 
and have some fun with the process. 
Otherwise, what is the point?"
Gaye Adams

9 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Oh, terrific! I love Economy block. This is going to be great.My first Kaffe quilt was Economy.

Bonnie said...

That block looks terrific. Nothing like making a decision and being happy with it! Good luck getting these blocks made. I was laughing at needing to finish some projects to have enough scraps. Yikes. I've taken to putting my scraps in bags and plowing through them when I need something. Some I cut into specific sizes but that is never as much fun as just working on a project!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Looks like fun. I am content to simply watch your progress! Square in a Square is one of my favorite blocks.

Ann said...

The solids in the second round set all these prints off beautifully.

Louise said...

The colors in your samples so far are great! I really like these blocks :)

Helen said...

Hey Julie, I think I have the same bright blue with green spots in my latest project!

Patricia in New Mexico said...

Cute block - and even cuter name! Such creativity! :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a good idea for using up scraps, must make a note of this process.

em's scrapbag said...

Looking forward to watching this grow. Love everything about it, scraps, economy block.