Friday, October 21, 2016

Resolution (At Last)



I started work on 
The Stroop Effect project
in January 2015
as part of that year's
Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

When the pieces and parts were finally ready,


Since then I have lost track 
of just how many times
I've sewn some of the parts together
only to un-stitch the seams yet again.

(You can click here to scroll through
the series of posts for this project)

* * *

Earlier this month,
I sent the whole project 
into hibernation.

And then,
only a few days later,
inspiration struck.




Within a matter of hours,
most of strata blocks became 
this 16" x 24" table mat with 
minimal DSM walking foot quilting.

I named it
Resolution Part I



But what about all those 4" letter blocks?






When I finally stopped
trying to spell words,
one thing quickly led to another.





Within 48 hours, 
this top was sewn together.

Resolution Part II
measures
32" wide x 40" long
and will be quilted 
in the very near future.

YES!!!


* * *

Linking up with the
Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

to see what the others are working on.





Quiltdivajulie

28 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, what a finish! Are you more relieved or happy with the results?

Nancy said...

Yes! And Yes! to both quilts, Julie. It was a stroke of genius (and perhaps well-planned) to sew letters and backgrounds with the same fabrics (red and blue, rose and green, etc.) for a limited number of letters. Well done!

Mari said...

Oh I love it! What a great resolution! I love how they're all willy-nilly. It turned out wonderful.

Kate said...

Wow! Definitely inspired stitching. Both projects turned out beautifully.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Sometimes plan B is just as good or even better! :)

Deb A said...

Wow! Love when inspiration strikes and solves those road blocks. Great solutions and what great quilts you have ended up with.

Alison V. said...

Yay! Way to show those WIPs who's boss. :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I went and looked back at all the different things you've tried with these blocks. What a process it's been! I guess that is what creating is all about! Your results are amazing! I did keep trying to make words out of your letter quilt - that made me laugh! I guess that's just what our brains are programmed to do!

Cathy said...

Amazing! Way better than the original plan. Who woulda thunk? Great solutions and fabulous use of color!!

LA Paylor said...

rich saturated color and pattern. Love it as usual and want to make it as usual. Thanks girl! LeeAnna

Angie said...

Great resolutions! I like how the strata pieces create the illusion of depth.

PaulaB quilts said...

WOW was my first reaction to your solution for the blocks. Then I read nearly the whole wiki article on the Stroop effect, because I'm a scientist. It makes sense, but your quilts both make far more sense, especially the random letters. Good finishes!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Interesting solutions to your design challenge!! Like Paula, I kept trying to locate the words in the "puzzle." I will be interested to see how you decide to quilt Resolution Part II.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Interesting solutions to your design challenge!! Like Paula, I kept trying to locate the words in the "puzzle." I will be interested to see how you decide to quilt Resolution Part II.

em's scrapbag said...

Great solutions! Both are lovely. Especially like all the letters.

Elaine M said...

Fabulous! Love both quilts. Only words I found - did and dink.

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, so fun! What fabulous solutions.

Mystic Quilter said...

Inspired ideas!! Love the results.

Ariane said...

I love both of these. Great finishes!!

Kaja said...

Inspiration indeed!

Karen said...

I love your string block. I am glad you found a solution for both quilts.

Cathy said...

Great ideas! The second one looks like a game of Boggle!

Kyle said...

Resolutions 1and 2 were wonderful solutions! Super random yet controlled. Great job.

gayle said...

Both are magnificent! After all the ways these blocks tried to make you pull your hair out, you've corraled them into the perfect finishes! Hurray!

Raewyn said...

Amazing what a step back and a deep breathe will do! Great resolutions :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Perfect solution!! The first one looks like a stained glass window!

Marsha Cooper said...

Love it!! What does DSM stand for?

Patricia in New Mexico said...

I love your quilt! The letter blocks are perfect for an I Spy Quilt! My grandbabies would love this!

Fabulously inspired! Congratulations on a great finish! Thank you for sharing!