Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Layout Process Begins



Last night I spent an hour or so randomly putting 
my Quilty 365 blocks on the design wall.

It wasn't long until the whole thing started
swimming in front of my eyes.

So I took them down and started again.

It didn't take long to realize I DID want 
to use my previously contemplated plan for a
dark - light - dark - light background arrangement.

Pinning my 108" tape measures in place
also created sixteen patch markers.
(another way to keep my head from exploding)




I wasn't going to do any stitching,
but as you can see I did sew two sets of sixteen blocks.

* * *

Like creating one of Sujata's freeform rail fence quilt tops,
I can now happily piece my circles into sixteen patch blocks
and not have to deal with all 192 four-inch blocks at the same time.

I love it when a long contemplated project reaches this point!




Quiltdivajulie

10 comments:

Debbie said...

I do think you are right....time is here to begin some assembly. Your layout looks great!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I thought I was the only one who used tape measures all over like that! Nothing I do is ever straight, and that method helps me keep things in line better. Even though I generally have no rules, I sometimes need constraints!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Shameless promotion ------ Is there going to be an exhibit of the individual barn quilts in Paducah? I wanted to direct people to your Author Showcase there and couldn't remember when the displays were.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gallery quilts will be on display later this year -- Author's Showcase will feature the Seasonal Sampler in Paducah.

em's scrapbag said...

Your light dark light arrangement is perfect. Love how the colors pop on your blue background.

Mystic Quilter said...

Your 365 circles look just glorious on your wall but I can guess it was not easy seeing them all placed randomly. I love the 16 patch idea.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Very nice! You are amazing... and I've now written your book on my "books to buy" list! Thanks for popping by my blog -- it reminded me to get up to speed with what you are doing -- and how excited to see these posts!

gayle said...

Celestial Spheres... Love the 16patches and all the happy color!

Lara B. said...

The dark and light alternating really works Julie! I like breaking down a humongous task into smaller sections too.

Kaja said...

I like the light/dark layout too, and the 16 patch blocks look like a good size. Will be interested to see how this one progresses.