Saturday, April 16, 2016

Green Season - the quilt

Threads used for quilting




I shared the almost-flimsy for this project HERE.

(For those visiting from the AHIQ link up,
please be sure to follow that link to see
how this project evolved)

Since then, I have been using the walking foot
on my Bernina to quilt what has come to be known as
Green Season.




I changed the top thread color for each new vertical row of quilting
(the subtle color shifts are visible in person, but not so much in the photos)
and used a single green for the bobbin thread.
(the spool on the far left in the photo above)

The 103 vertical lines are approximately one-half inch apart.

Those 103 rows used over 6,000 inches (169 yards) of thread!




The finished quilt measures 46" wide x 59" long.




I love the vibrancy of the backing fabric
and its mix of springtime colors that include
yellow like our early daffodils,
pink like the currently blooming azaleas,
and white like the dogwood trees.




The time of year known locally as 'green season'
will last for at least another week or so.

We're all growing weary of sticky pollen-coated cars,
porch railings, driveways, and outdoor grills/furniture -
not to mention the intensity of the spring allergy season -
but we also know this is an annual rite of passage between
winter's 'khaki season' and the glorious greens of late spring and summer.


* * *

Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge,
where this month's official color is orange.

CLICK HERE to see what the others are working on.

* * *

And I want to share a sincere THANK YOU 
to each of you who has ordered a copy of my book!

Please CLICK HERE for the latest
book sightings and other news
along with the SSOBB gallery quilt pages.



Quiltdivajulie

24 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Perfect name for this vibrant quilt and what a wonderful selection of green threads used for the quilting. Straight line quilting is a favourite of mine, especially when I'm the one having to carry out the quilting!

Sheila said...

I love green. So many beautiful prints and shades of green. It's beautiful. Congratulations on a beautiful job.

Shelina said...

Congratulations n another beautiful quilt finish. Green Season is an appropriate name for it.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Green Season means something else for those of us in the liturgical trade. Pentecost Sunday is 40 days after Easter (this year on May 15). The prescribed color for the Day of Pentecost is red. The next Sunday is the First Sunday After Pentecost and the color changes to green and remains green until the Sunday before Advent 1; that Sunday is Christ the King Sunday and the color is white and Advent is Blue or Purple. But I'm getting ahead of myself. There are many, many Sundays After Pentecost and the color is green for a long, long time -- until mid-November at least. Some denominations call this Ordinary Time and others the Season of Pentecost but all think of it as the long green season. It's interesting to me to think about the intermingling of the growing seasons of spring and summer and even the harvest of autumn falling alongside the long green season. Thanks for the brain stimulation early in the morning!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

PS: The quilt is great and the quilting terrific!

LA Paylor said...

How gorgeous. I mean, it's healing. LeeAnna

Delighted Hands said...

Fantastic array of color in your quilt-great job!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I had my quilt shop I heard so many people say they didn't like green. What's not to like about it? I love it! In nature, green goes with everything. Your quilt is gorgeous!!

Ivani said...

What a gorgeous quilt. love the way you make the quilting. Very well done! Have a great weekend

Millie said...

How can anybody NOT like green? I think I have five green coats. I love this quilt, and am very eager for green season to seep north.

gayle said...

I love that glorious gathering of green!

Lara B. said...

That's the first time I've heard anyone talk about green season and khaki season. It could apply to here in New York too, although right now we are still in khaki season. Your quilt is gorgeous Julie! Like sunlight dappled through leaves.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I've never been a big fan of green or brown (earthy colours) but I must admit that because of your colourways selection I'm rather fond of this one - and of course I also love the scrappiness of it as well :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh wow! I love Green Season! The backing fabric is perfect for it, too!

JoanG said...

We call it yellow season here in South Carolina. Everything is coated in yellow pollen and you can't leave windows open or you'll have yellow season inside! I love the vibrancy of your Green Season quilt. It's perfect for the green of spring.

Peggyinno said...

If this doesn't inspire other quilters to use up those scraps and tiny pieces, I don't know what will! I love everything about this quilt, well, except for the fact that it doesn't belong to me!!! Congrats on a great finish.

PaulaB quilts said...

It's ALIVE, and with the bits of khaki mixed in, it makes the bright ones even more alive by contrast. An inspired piece of work.

Kaja said...

I like the name and green is my favourite colour, so clearly I like the quilt a lot. As usual I love your 'on location' shot. As a hand quilter I never really think about how much thread gets used, but I will now!

Ann said...

Such a lovely quilt, front and back. Green is so special in the spring.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Color saturation is one of my most favorite things in the world!

Marly said...

Lovely quilt, Julie. You certainly had a large variety of greens in your green bins. But what a lot of thread in the quilting!

Janie said...

Thrilling! Your quilts are fun.

Sue said...

It's really beautiful. Reminds me of the City of Oz, as I saw it in my imagination as a child. And I really like the quilting style and the color changes (and wish I could see it in person to fully appreciate. Well done!

Ann said...

The greens are still beautiful. I love the straightness of your lines. Mine rarely turn out that even. it's been fun to see it progress. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.