Friday, September 18, 2015

Fruit Loops - The Quilt (updated)


late afternoon shade


Fruit Loops

56" x 72"

NOTE:  Post updated 9/19 to include additional photos.


mid-morning sunshine - not an easy quilt to photograph!

Hand guided quilting by Lynn Harris




Inspired by Tacha Bruecher's
Typed Baubles
found in the
December 2013 issue of Fat Quarterly




The colorful portions of my version were scrappy-pieced
one month at a time
during the 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


late afternoon photo


The very scrappy binding includes a wide variety
of medium to little (!!) pieces of whites on blacks.


mid-morning photo


I love the way the binding moves around the quilt's edge . . .




I waited until early evening so the slanted sunlight
would highlight the amazing surface of this quilt.

(This is my first experience with Quilter's Dream Wool batting)

mid-morning photo


The texture truly is mesmerizing.


taken just as the sun set

(double click to supersize - easier to see more details)




This quilt makes me so happy . . . 


* * *

I'll also be linking this post with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge,
where the color for September is orange.



Quiltdivajulie

17 comments:

Brenda said...

Looks great! is this one for you? Because you will love sleeping under wool!

Mari said...

Oh, so pretty! Looks cozy too. I love wool batting. It seems to be just right for me in every season. Congratulations on another great finish.

Kate said...

Wow! Very dramatic! Love all those brights.

LA Paylor said...

it makes me happy too with all that scrappy goodness. The quilting adds a lot to the mix. LeeAnna

scraphappy said...

Beautiful finish! The quilting is just icing on an already beautiful cake.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on a 'joyful' finish. :o))

Jennifer said...

love the quilting- and the subtle setting blocks...

Vicki W said...

I love the quilting on this! You've completed another really fun quilt.

Julie in GA said...

Your quilt is fabulous--beautiful piecing and amazing quilting!

Lara B. said...

Julie, this is so awesome! I love the shapes you made and the bright colors against the dark neutrals! They really do look like big, scrappy Fruit Loops, LOL. Lynn did an awesome job with her quilting. I especially love the shot with the sunlight coming in at a low angle.
Do you encourage people to pin onto Pinterest from your blog? Just want to ask permission before I do that.

Lara B. said...

PS - Kaja (Sew Slowly) told me to come and check out your blog, because of your mantra, and I'm glad i did!

Kaja said...

This really is a happy quilt - love the colour/fabric combinations, the scrappy binding and Lynn's fantastic quilting. I love wool batting - nothing better.

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt. I love how all the colors play with the background fabric and the border. The binding is perfect. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

PaulaB quilts said...

A gorgeous quilt, you should be very proud. The quilting with all the bubbles is amazing!

Mystic Quilter said...

This is what I would call a happy looking quilt! I love it.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

So wonderful! It is a fun fun quilt.

Unknown said...

I love this quilt!! The colors, the piecing, the name and the awesome quilting....just perfect!!