Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Happy Accident - Flimsy 2 (the back)

 
 
During Sujata's August Rail Fence workshop in St. Louis,
one of the other students stitched her block together this way.
 
Several of us quickly copied her version.
 
I made 3 of these blocks there and the fourth after returning home.
 
I knew all along these would become the center
for the back of my reversible table topper,
but I wasn't sure how I wanted to increase the back's size.
 
(especially since I didn't know how large the front would be)
 

 
 
The front was finished last week, giving me the dimensions needed for the back.
 
Again, I sat quietly with the stash and waited for inspiration.
 
All was well with my plan,
until I decided to include
 the autumnal batik inner border strips.
 
AACK!
 
The already-cut outer border sections were no longer the right size.
 
What to do?
 

 
 
Add two contrasting Gwen Marston's coping strips at each corner!
 
Voila - a companionable scrappy back that is as interesting as the front.
 

 
 
I plan to quilt this one myself
sometime before the end of the year.
 
I want this one to be ready for use
after the holiday decorations have been
displayed, enjoyed, and once again packed away.

 
Quiltdivajulie

9 comments:

Barb said...

great pieced backing!

Nancy said...

It's terrific. We quilters sure get a lot of those "make it work" moments! Well done.

sharon said...

Julie - -the back is as wonderful as the front - a reversible quilt....will be interested to see how you quilt it

gayle said...

Happy Accident is so truly named!
I love your reversible quilt so much.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely, lovely back. Great effect from the Gwen Marston coping strips adding a pop!

Lynette said...

Nice! I really love the effect of the coping stripes. Much better with them. Some of my best outcomes happened because of problem-solving, so I don't get depressed by them anymore when they happen!

Sharon said...

Wonderful! Love those coping strips! I love a 2-sided quilt.

Lara B. said...

A fun way to do this piece Julie! This is the first time I have ever heard (read, LOL) anyone call the little strips you add to make blocks fit "coping strips". It sounds like in construction when you use a coping saw, AND it's a way to cope with blocks that aren't the same measurement, so it's perfect. :)

Magpie Sue said...

Excellent solution. :- ) Good planning for the future too!