Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'm Still Here ...


I’ve been spending evenings in the studio
working on a series of ten small quilts

I don’t usually work this way,
but I am enjoying the process.

I’m quilting these myself using a variety of different threads
(metallic thread can be SO temperamental!)

I’m also pushing myself to drop the feed dogs
and do more free motion work.

Finally
(as in I should have done it LONG ago)
I asked DH to cut an acrylic rectangle
that measures 8-1/2 x 11-1/2 inches.

It’s wonderful!

When I lay it on top of the PQ-work-in-progress,
I can see the work AND judge where the outer borders will fall.
(... no more making quilts that are ½” too large!)

* * *

I’ve also been working to finish the bindings
on several PIF and lap quilts that I want to take along
for the September trunk show.

A multi-quilt photo shoot needs to happen soon!

Quiltdivajulie
------------------------------
p.s.  The Mr. Men books were childhood favorites at our house.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Great idea to cut a template for the AAQI quilts! I just had to rework one (after it was all finished) because it was 1/4 inch too big! It was my own fault, because I know the size requirements, but things happen!

Anonymous said...

Well, it is about time. The free motion work makes you so happy when you get the end result and I have no doubt that you can do it and do it well. Happy quilting.

Best metallics are Superior (can get 500yd spool). They are lovely and run very smoothly, you do need to run the tension loose on top to help minimize breakage. I use them on my longarm and have no problem, just great results. Also make sure to use the right needle.