This 6-1/2" siggie block is for Victoria (Bumble Beans).
This 9" crazy-patch block is for Nancy (Blogging. Near Philadelphia)
(Cows in the Meadow ~
complete with big cows and little cows,
green grass, blue skies,
and lots of conversations).
Both are headed out in the mail today!
* * *
I also spent part of Sunday cleaning out my car,
washing the windows inside,
vacuuming away the dirt and debris of the last several months,
and finally washing the car itself.
Unfortunately, I also rolled my ankle and landed,
most unceremoniously, on the driveway.
My left ankle is very tender, the right elbow is bruised,
and the left thumb joint is stiff and sore.
It could have been so much worse.
* * *
After dinner, DH and I drove downtown to
see the historic flooding of the Mississippi River first hand.
As DH drove across the "M" bridge (I-40) to Arkansas
and then back to Memphis via the "old" bridge (I-55),
I had the camera pointed out the open window,
snapping photos as fast as the shutter would respond.
All I can say is photos do NOT capture the scale of the scenes.
The enormous width and vast quantity of swiftly moving water
is breathtaking, amazing, and almost beyond comprehension.
That is until you look at the flood wall, the sand bags,
and the raised road beds installed for evacuation . . .
Once back on the TN side of the river, we drove onto the island where DS and wife live.
Police everywhere making sure the cars kept moving ~
DH let me out of the car to take photos while he continued down a few blocks
and circled back to get me.
I was standing on the newly-installed elevated road bed
(a special mixture of clay, sand, crushed rock, and ?)
looking towards the commercial part of Harbor Town.
Standing in the same spot,
facing the river
(that's the new bridge in the background).
The police tape says it all.
Normally this view would include a sidewalk, lots of green grass,
and another sidewalk close to the riverbank.
Now all of that is totally underwater.
I've uploaded the other photos I took to Picasa.
If you want to see more views
(roads that abruptly disappear into the water,
the skyline with the southern part of the island under water,
and others that attempt to show the vastness of the swollen river)
The river is expected to crest on Wednesday . . .
Quiltdivajulie
5 comments:
Victoria is going to love that block! So sorry that you injured yourself too... Ouch! Since I only hear and see the news on TV or the newspapers it seems that coming from someone who is actually there it is much more intense than expected. My heart goes out to all the people who live near the flood zones and hope that the river recedes soon and doesn't leave too much devastation and destruction in its pathway.
Those flood photos scare me to my soul. Glad that you are safe, and dry. I know one COW who will LOVE that block, well done... moo!
LOVE IT!!! look at those cool fabrics! wahoo thank you Julie! the high water photos are oh so scary... be safe and dry!
THANK YOU for my block!
Amazing photos. Get well soon!
I'm a bit behind in reading blogs. Better late than never. Right?
I hope by now that you've recovered a bit from your fall and are feeling better.
Thanks for posting the photos in Picasa of the flooding Mississippi in Memphis. It's hard to comprehend that much water everywhere.
Post a Comment