Saturday, May 7, 2011

Taking Inventory


Photo Credit



Scattered ... fragmented ... distracted ...
That's how I've felt for a while now.

You know, that feeling that invades your spirit
when there are too many details nagging,
too many to-do items on the list,
and all you do is move things around instead of dealing with them?

That's where the inner me is these days.

That means the best thing to do is stop and take a deep breath
and then make a list of all the things that are weighing me down.

As Mrs. Goodneedle posted recently, please hold me accountable!

So, in no particular order, here is the list:
I'm enjoying the online journal class (my first altered art work);
but, in addition to this first work-in-progress book,
two others are begging/demanding/needing to be created.
That's okay ~ I just have to give myself lots of time.
(there are only self-imposed deadlines involved for these)

I have three quilts with binding half done (ready to be flipped): 
(Summertime, Senescence, and Scrambled Scraps).
(for some reason, I'm reluctant to actually be done with these ...)

There are three quilts with binding ready to attach
(Indian Summer, Bits & Pieces, and Good Morning Purple).
Their bindings have been on the binding tree for months now.
(Again, it is unlike me to hold back at binding time . . .)

(Maybe because an empty binding tree bothers me?)

There is one quilt (Brush Strokes)
with binding strips cut but not yet pieced or pressed.
This one is a June gift quilt ~ it really needs to be finished, and soon!

Two swap blocks (one for Nancy and one for Victoria)
are ready and waiting for me to create and play.

The September wedding quilt is seriously stalled on my design wall.
This one needs to be finished and to Chris by June 15.

Three flimsies from my recent JCCFS class continue to hang over the balcony:
Flimsy 1 has a back and is ready to go to Chris;
Flimsies 2 and 3 have fabrics pulled for scrappy backs,
but the backs need to be pieced, pressed, and squared.
(One is a Christmas gift quilt, the others have no set deadline.)

The text fabric quilt project that inserted itself at the head of the line ~
I suspect it will stay pretty close to the top of the list.

Then there are the partially-cut-out, waiting-to-be-worked-on projects:
Gotta Love It (aka Down to the Blues) is 3/4ths cut out;
Re-Boot (for DH) is pressed and ready to cut out;
the Sock Swap quilt has fabrics gathered and sketches drawn;
and the KF HST pieces are patiently waiting in their box.

(have I mentioned that I don't do well with "a little along" projects?).

I set a goal to make at least 5 PIF quilts this year
for the Alzheimer's Study Group in California. 
Three of these have fabrics gathered, but that is as far as I've gotten.

I also want/need to make several PQs for AAQI this year ~
but it hasn't happened so far, despite my very best intentions.
Tonya is preparing a new challenge
(to go along with Michele's ongoing group challenge) ~
maybe this will be the spark I need to get started.

And the selvages ... oh, my goodness.
They have completely outgrown their storage spot.
Some will be incorporated into my white coat project,
but that will barely make a dent in the selvage stash.

Oh, and then there are the quilt journal entries
and QuiltAlbum software records for 2011 . . .

. . . and the preparations for September's trunk show in MS.
(I keep thinking about what I want to include,
but I need to collect those thoughts in one place
so I can stop worrying that I'll forget what I thought about.)

And then there is the rest of my life . . .

* * *
Thank you for letting me gather at least some of my thoughts!

At least now I can print off this post
and use it to prioritize and focus my efforts.

It is high time for the paralysis of thinking to stop and
the action of doing to begin ~ one stitch at a time!

Please stay tuned!

Quiltdivajulie
---------------------------
“Practice easing your way along. Don't get het up or in a dither. Do your best; take it as it comes. You can handle anything if you think you can. Just keep your cool and your sense of humor.”   (Smiley Blanton)


5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Oh, I can relate to this so well. I'm afraid to even make my list though.

Laura said...

I am feeling the same way right now. I haven't taken the time to regroup my personal to do's since tax season ended and I feel discombobulated. I even put it on my to do list to update my personal to do list so I can get organized and start getting things done and I still haven't done it LOL.

Darling Millie said...

You have a bad case of the "hafta's." I hafta do this, I hafta do that. Remember the only really important hafta is you hafta live your life in a way that gives YOU pleasure. Decide what you really HAFTA and get the rest of it off the hook.

hugs,
Lynne

Elsie Montgomery said...

Someone says the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. I say don't look at the elephant... just look at the next bite. Be joyful when it is swallowed and then go for the next one.

Sometimes I just start at the top of the list and forget about what I "feel" like doing. Or do the most difficult/dreaded one first.

Enjoy whacking away at that elephant!

Magpie Sue said...

In the spirit of holding you accountable, I just saw on Victoria's blog that she will accept siggy blocks through June 1. Maybe knowing that deadline will help you prioritize - I know it does for me. And knocking out a quick little block can be motivating. :- )