This year's quilt show had quite a bit of press attention ahead of time,
including this story.
The highlight for me was spending time visiting with Hattie Childress,
The Civil War quilt shown above and in the linked post was draped over the table beside her
and I read nearly 1/2 of the quotes she had handwritten on the panels.
In the photo album, you'll see several other quilts of Ms. Hattie's . . .
each one unique and historically linked with her written words,
I could only try to absorb her spirit and grace.
I couldn't stay for the afternoon program by local quilter Marilyn League,
but I was able to view several of her art quilts.
[there'a a photo of her group in the album]
This year there were categories (assigned after all quilts had been received):
Non-traditional piecing (Spirit Song was placed in this group)
Traditional piecing (Chris's Enchanted Stars II and 2 of her mom's quilts were here)
Challenge quilts (including the little log cabin in the woods AQS Knoxville entries)
Art quilts (where No Words Needed was displayed)
Applique (where Chris's Pumpkin Seed was displayed)
Civil War Commemorative quilts
Mixed Technique quilts
Vintage (I didn't go up to the Manor House to see these)
Holiday quilts
Other Needlework entries
Visitors were asked to choose their favorite in each group
and then from that list pick their "Best of Show"
No judges ~ no juries ~ just Viewer's Choice awards.
They stopped accepting votes 10 minutes before the show ended
so I only saw two of the award winners get their ribbons.
They stopped accepting votes 10 minutes before the show ended
so I only saw two of the award winners get their ribbons.
To see lots more, click HERE and enjoy the photo album!
(If you want to see even more, you can visit Chris's post and photo album.)
(If you want to see even more, you can visit Chris's post and photo album.)
Quiltdivajulie
p.s. This is my week for jury duty . . . we'll see how that goes.
4 comments:
Hattie Childress sounds like a wonderful lady.
The quilt in the last photo is awesome.
Have a good week.
Julie, great post! I love the last little close up at the bottom!
What a wonderful post - thanks for so much beauty & inspiration!
Well I know where to come when I need some eye candy! Looks like it was a wonderful show.
Post a Comment