Friday, November 5, 2010

Senescence - The Flimsy


A funny thing has happened along the way  . . .

This 49 x 72 flimsy has come to embody so many of the ideas
that have been floating through my mind after/during recent reads.

Senescence is gloriously colorful,
random yet richly predictable,
and
so full of textures and patterns.


DH had reason through his employer to visit 
a Green House  in Tupelo, MS a while back.  
He came home bursting with stories about
the living arrangements for that fortunate group of seniors 
and their care-giving companionships
(definitely NOT a traditional nursing home).

Having experienced first hand with both my mother and MIL
where I do NOT want to spend my final days/months/years, 
I was intrigued enough to order a copy of

It took a while to work my way through the volume, 
but I am SO glad I kept at it.  
Two of the key concepts are


One of the books referenced in Old People is 
Where River Turns to Sky by Gregg Kleiner.  
I’m now mid-way through the story of George Castor and his housemates
(they live in a bright red house with dandelion yellow trim).

I can SO identify with the character of Clara Paulson ~ 
not because I was a night club singer in Vegas but because
 of the stroke that sent her to the Silver Gardens Nursing Home.
I suffered a stroke 20 years ago so there’s a lot of “been there/done that” 
understanding when she references her “dead side” 
or shares her frustration at not being able to sing or speak 
or walk or play her beloved piano.  



[Thankfully, today I have only minimal deficits ~ 
wearing sensible shoes, walking a bit crooked when I’m tired, 
and feeling a tad older than I really am are such small issues in 
comparison to where I was at the worst points.]

Understandably, there is a deep sense of unending gratitude for 
not only sunny days and blue skies 
but for rainy days and puddles on the ground.

Each and every step I take is precious.  
So is every stitch I take in my studio ~ nothing is taken for granted.

Backing fabric ~ Daiwabo by E.E. Schenck
The main character in the book, George, is so much like DH ~ 
able to invent, create, repair, or manage most anything that comes along 
(using in the box or out of the box methods).  No clue yet how the book will end 
but I hope, when the time comes, there is a Green House 
with companions like George and Clara in my future. 


In the meantime, I plan to embrace the approaching time of 
senescence as I prepare to become a colorful quilty elder.  
I hope there are many more years of DOING-being ahead of me, 
but I want to incorporate more BEING-doing along the way.  

Quiltdivajulie
--------------------------
"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals.  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul."  (Samuel Ullman)

12 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Beautiful post in every way!

beth said...

I'm so interested in this topic. Thank you for the great post and the book ideas. Your quilt is lovely!!

Mary said...

Thank you for the lovely post and beautiful quilt photos. They are just soooooo colorful.

Sujata Shah said...

I LOVE the idea of being-doing!

Thanks for sharing so many wonderful thoughts!

Laura said...

Beautiful quilt and great post!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You used the fabrics with gusto! Your design shows off the individual designs while it gives a riot of color.
I always said there should be a place for us to live that doesn't feel like an institution when we get old and frail.

jdqltr said...

Wonderful post! A very close friend of mine was a music teacher until a series of strokes left her disabled, and the last stroke left her unable to sing. We don't talk about it often, I think because of the tears that come. I am not a musician, but definately empathize with those can are but can't. She still quilts tho at times that has became difficult. But as long as one hand works, she's quilting!

Twisted Quilts said...

Your post really spoke to me today. My mother is at home with full time care and is sometimes uncooperative with her caregivers. In this country there aren't many good alternatives for older people. It is a real burden (I hate to say burden but it really is) for me to see that she is looked after. Your quilt speaks to me too! Love the profusion of color and designs.

Barb said...

I love how you interplayed with the flimsy and spoke to us at the same time. wonderful post.

Magpie Sue said...

Holy cow, what a fulsome post. I may have to look into that novel - my challenges are slightly different but the frustrations are probably very similar.

I am constantly amazed at what you accomplish. To learn that you've been through a stroke as well... wow. That flimsy will be a day brightening quilt for some lucky individual :- )

Anonymous said...

there's a wonderful book/folk tale about the necessity and beauty of those societies cast aside called Two Old Women.

this is a great post.

Anonymous said...

The post and the quilt is great! The post brings tears to my eye, and the quilt brings a smile to my face!

Lovely in every way.