Saturday, July 24, 2010

Selvage Finishes


All six placemats are finally finished!

Four have machine stitched binding (each done a little differently)
and two have hand stitched binding (left handed).

I started to do a tablescape, but couldn't get a good angle
so laying them here on the cutting table 
(and standing on the step stool)
was the result.


Each of the six backs is different ~ related, but different.

My goals to  use 
some of my black and whites, 
some of my selvage stash,
leftover binding pieces,
and figuring out other methods to bind
were all met with this project.

This finish feels especially good.
I need to believe the words of this quote:

"Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. 
There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. 
So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, 
more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.”

 (Mark Victor Hansen)


Quiltdivajulie


7 comments:

Denise :) said...

These are AWESOME! You did such a great job -- both front and back! But really, after looking at them, I'd say front and front! :)

Michele Bilyeu said...

Wonderful synchronicity! We both just posted on quilting with selvages. I'm definitely living on the edge...how about you ;)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That was a perfect mix of using up stuff. Both sides are so attractive, I guess you have to decide on your mood to know which side to use.

Anonymous said...

Really liked the quote, applies to me, for sure!!


The placemats are delightful!

QuiltingCyclist said...

These placemats are just wonderful. You give me ideas for some of my scraps to make them into something I could love. Using the black and white on the back is brilliant and I have the excess binding on hand ready to go. Thanks for this project.

*karendianne. said...

Wow. Amazing. You're so cool. Wonder if I could do this?

Magpie Sue said...

I almost like the backs of your placemats better than the fronts!

I might have to have that quote tattooed on my body somewhere (although it is a little long and I'm pretty short!).