I'm delighted to share that I have finally come to terms
with this machine binding business.
MANY thanks to those who have offered suggestions, links, and advice ~
or who waited while I struggled through all this.
Your help HAS made a difference!
My method incorporates the approach I showed a day or so ago from Hilda
along with elements of Judy L's tutorial that Paula clued me into.
I cut these strips 2-1/2" to make my binding.
There is matching thread in the top and invisible thread in the bobbin.
I increased my stitch length just a little.
The binding is stitched to the front.
On the straightaway, I stop and pin 6-8" ahead of myself
just to keep things tidy as I work my way around the quilt.
As I approach a corner, I use three pins.
(photo shows the back side of the quilt)
I pin before and after, then pin the corner fold.
I do the back tack as Judy L. shows in her video
as I turn the corner with my needle down.
Ta Da!
A finished corner!
There will always be quilts that I slowly lefty-hand bind,
but this method certainly works for all the others!
Here is French Roast draped over the rocker in my studio ~
a second PIF finish for this week!
Don't you just love the swirl design
Chris chose for her quilting?
I do!
(the fabrics for this quilt came from her stash, too)
And here's Tippy
(our grand-dog)
quality testing the finished quilt.
Camp Sefton is way better than the kennel!
Here's to the weekend . . .
Quiltdivajulie
7 comments:
Wow!! This is awesome! Nice finish -- congrats! :)
A cheerful celebration of our favorite caffeinated beverage! Tippy certainly seems to approve~ well done! Love your machine binding tips, too; thank you.
Hi Tippy! You lucky dog!
Looks great, you have been one very productive girl! but, you always are! Nothing slows you down, where there is a will, there is a way!! You go!!
I'm so glad you've found a method (developed a method) that works for you. The quilt looks warm and yummy too!
Haven't tried that binding method but Judy sure makes it look worth the try and YOU make it look worth the effort. Love it. Dig the quilt and oh so happy to see Tippy!!!
Wonderful tips -- thanks for sharing. I like the invisible thread idea.
www.craftedAngles.com
The binding is stitched to the front. What is the seam allowance for the front stitching?
Post a Comment