
I know, I know ~ I was supposed to be stitching together the last three rows of MIL's birthday quilt Wednesday evening after dinner . . . but I couldn't help starting my next B&W challenge quilt Jazzberry Jam featuring string pieced roses (inspired by the the pattern named Paper Roses). They've been calling to me for a while now, and I just couldn't hold out any longer. You can see the glorious backing fabric at the bottom of the photo.

Last night I had a migraine so there was no serious work possible. Instead, I pulled out a stash of 2-1/2" pieces (including some left after making Feverish) to start a two-rail-fence baby quilt for K & B (they are expecting their first in February; K is our summertime runner at the law firm). One rail will consistently be a scrappy green while the others will feature random rainbow colors. Borders, binding, backing? No clue yet ~ this is a happy-scrappy-wait-and-see project.

And this is Moonlight at Delicate Arch ~ the first stabile that DH has completed. He's wanted to make pieces like this for so long (learning curve, technical issues, and most of all, time have gotten in his way). Today, DA is on my desk to gather feedback and reactions (complete with a note that reads "yes, it is okay to touch"). [click here to see Mother Nature's inspiration.]
Here's to the weekend!
Quiltdivajulie
---------------------------
Stabile: (stā'bēl), an abstract construction that is completely stationary. The form was pioneered by Alexander Calder, and examples were termed stabiles to distinguish them from mobiles, their moving counterparts, also invented by Calder.
5 comments:
I love the new black and white!
It sounds like the migraine weather is travelling south. Cathi in Canada, then me and now you.
The stabile is very soothing and interesting to look at.
Your husband's stabile is AWEsome.
I would love to touch it! (Heck, I'd love to see it in person!)
Your work ain't bad either ;- )
Julie,
So cool the creation you've got going with black and white. I really dig that. HOw you can press on with a headache though girl, I'll never know.
Moonlight at the Delicate Arch brings a sense of magic of sorts to mind. The tie back to the inspiration piece did that for me.
Hope the afternoon and weekend are whopper wonderful for ya!
Your husbands work is reminds me of a Tanqui paintings I admired so much in College Art Appreciation class. It almost has a surreal look, but so peaceful and in balance at same time. I love it!
oh, I wish I had room for something like the stabile here...it's wonderful. the black and white fabrics are varied and fun-and the scraps for the baby quilt look so inviting. hope your head felt better soonest.
Post a Comment