Saturday, June 20, 2009

Weekend Ramblings

Today was the monthly visit to the hairdresser ~ we treated MIL to a visit with my hair stylist earlier this year.  She was stuck in  a rut where she had been going.  Now she has a much shorter, more tapered, wash and go style that freed her from hair rollers forever and she's delighted (not to mention she looks cute as a button.  (Our appointments are back to back and our stylist's mom is almost exactly the same age as MIL ~ makes for a great situation.)  Afterwards, we located the new bakery in town and bought several different items to sample (all have been wonderful).  Best part is she can get to the bakery on her own.  

This afternoon I pieced and quilted a small quilt to go with DH's stabile when it travels with him to Albuquerque next week for the AAW Symposium ~ instead of the bright green one on my desk at work, this one is done in rich desert rusts and golds and browns.

After dinner, we made a run to Walgreens to pick up an adjustable cane for MIL ~ her hip has been painful and walking, especially in the mornings, is awkward.  She was elated with her shiny blue, comfort handled, cane ("now I look like House")

As you can see in the photo above, I've pulled out the Asian Odyssey pieces and laid them on the fabrics that have finally been chosen for sashing, background, and backing.  As usual, I've been trying too hard and now realize that what I need to do will take time but is really very straightforward (duh, how many times do I have to go through this cycle?).

[Venting moment:  I will be SO glad when we stop suffering with after-the-storm power surges.  Each one knocks out our A/C units which forces a  lengthy shutdown to allow them to reset.  One of these times, we're concerned the reset will refuse to cooperate or that it will kick out when no one is home and we'll come home to a roaster.  With heat index readings nearing 110, that is not a happy thought.)

Did any one else out there enjoy the essay "Making Space for Quiet" in the spring/summer edition of Studios?  I know I did.

Family dinner tomorrow for Father's Day ~ featuring our oldest son's infamous (and excellent) grilled pizza ... yuuuuuuummmmmmmm.

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Gosh, it is so hot here too, I hope your a/c holds out for you. Nice things you have done for your MIL. Wonder if my DIL will be that nice to me when the time comes?

*karendianne. said...

Julie,

Kindness you give to your MIL. You are blessed. Very cool you found the bakery, a place she can go at her leisure.

...and of course you whipped out piecing a quilt for DH because you're like that. Just knockin' it out.

The cycle you mention, I liked reading about that. Made me think of my own. Thought provoking.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a gift to give your MIL, your time and freedom from a hairstyle that was holding her hostage. I can tell you treasure the time spent with her. Best wishes to your husband on his travels, am eager to see his newest quilt. I'm unsure where to find the article you mentioned.

Millie said...

Heat? We haven't had any. Just a lot of rain and cooler than normal temps. Like in the high 50's. So I'll be happy to trade you some heat for the rain.

Cher said...

not familiar with the article you referred to, a magazine? sounds like an interesting read. You just get so much sewing done! what a lovely time with your mil...so glad you helped make her life easier and happier.

Anonymous said...

My mom's a/c is riding on borrowed time! I so look forward to that. She was told last time it went out that it will go out and probably soon. Well, I will get the SOS distress call when it happens, she refuses to do anything until then. I love the quilt you made for your MIL, it is so rich!!!

Larry's work is unbeliveable, he is amazing!!! What a creative duo you are!

I LOVE the asian fabs you posted! I have seen them before, but you know how much I love them, they are exceptional!