Friday, January 23, 2009

Roses Amongst Willow Oak Leaves

Early this morning, I took these blocks outside and tried to get a photo (still dark enough that the flash was necessary, not quite the effect I was hoping for).

I needed to see them randomly spread out ~ instead of always in a pile (as below).


Only a few more of these slow cloth blocks to soft-edge applique before I can begin the layout process for real. I have sketched several variations, but if my own history is any indicator, the quilt top will end up looking completely different from my drawings.

While I've been working a-little-along on these (often at the front desk at work when I take my turn answering the phones), those who walk by stop and sigh, "those are such pretty colors" ~ which is a good thing, because I keep doubting my plan with this project. One day I'm certain it will be wonderful and a week later I'm ready to pack it up and put it away as a lost cause.

I genuinely love the fuzzy, frayed edges of the roses; the textural contrast of the hand stitching; the warm, gently-vanilla tones in the background's paisley; the melted ice cream colors . . . and the large scale companion fabrics for the outer borders and backing are simply gorgeous ~ but this was the last of the coordinated groupings of fabrics that I purchased and, under it all, I have come to understand that I need to create my own combinations. That newly-understood disconnect is, I suspect, the real source of my underlying discomfort.

Ice Cream Social has become a very tangible marker for the not-so-gentle transition that has been playing itself out for months now; a visible mixture of my old ways and my newer thinking ~

And so, the journey will continue . . .

Quiltdivajulie

------------------------------
“If we're growing,
we're always going to be out of our comfort zone.”
(John Maxwell)

10 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I remember these blocks -- I think you were working on them when I first started reading your blog. I'm been thinking about style and color lately, as I find that as soon as I say something about how I am in that regard, I find something that makes my statement untrue! Guess we are always in a state of flux (or change or growth, depending on how you want to think about it!).

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous! I adore the frayed edges and the pretty hand stitches. This is looking to be an amazing project.
~Emily

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Finish this beauty and don't look back. It's going to be gorgeous on it's own and from here on in create your own fabric collections from scratch. You won't be sorry!

Colleen and Jason said...

I am due for a plane trip next week and time away dealing with difficult family health issues, and I have been wracking my brain to find good quilty things to take that doesn't involve lugging the sewing machine 2000 miles on United. This is perfect! Hand sewing, raggedy edges,pretty colors, slow cloth. Meant to be. One question: What type of thread are you using? Pearle cotton? Sewing thread? (make and model doesn't matter, just looking for general info.) Thanks for the mental health help!

Donna said...

its amazing to see how our tastes and expectations change over time when it comes to fabric and style...

your roses are very gentle and will be a great marker of this time for you.

Magpie Sue said...

I know whereof you speak.

Love the green inner border you've got going in your black and white quilt top!

Gari in AL said...

I understand having to pick your own fabric. I bought a jellyroll for a class and it has been not been as much fun as when I have made the fabric choices myself.

Anonymous said...

It is coming along nicely! It is so romantic, I love it!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the look of hand stitching. Choosing your own fabrics for more blocks will make it even more personal.

jude said...

these are so beautiful...what a lovely slow heartful project this is.