Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More Mental Meandering ~





So what came of the process and effort described in my Evolution post ??

clean out - dust bunnies are vanquished, at least for now; space between drawers has been cleared and most of the clutter has been dealt with.

tidy - stacks of magazines culled, notebooks organized, threads returned to the thread boxes, drawers sorted and re-arranged (updated labels are still in the works); tops without boxes tossed; books straightened and semi-organized; another stack of books ready to list on PBS.

donate - a 10 pound box of 1"-2" strips shipped to a Chicago area Heartstrings volunteer who makes quilts for the homeless (including the remaining reproduction fabrics from my stash and some yardage that can be used to back donated quilt tops), plus a full trunk load of "stuff" to Goodwill (one man's trash can be another's treasure)

edit - old notes/handouts reviewed, most of them scanned, then tossed and/or shredded; early online printouts that are no longer needed or will not be used - gone; ongoing follow through on reconsider and re-evaluate thoughts (tools, fabrics, patterns, etc.); replaced broken picture frames; removed bric a brac that served only to collect dust...

All the while, these other activities were lurking in the background (sometimes taking priority, sometimes hiding in the shadows):

Re-arrange - things put where they belong, storage containers stacked neatly with their lids, new fabric from stash chosen to recover ironing table (2 person job to lift/flip and then replace - DH will help this coming weekend); and I can see the entire top of my cutting surface now!

Re-consider - what quilts bring me the most happiness and pleasure? what fabrics excite me? what designs and processes tickle my fancy?

Re-evaluate - who am I quilting for? what is most important to me when I'm quilting? do I really "need" this piece of clutter? why am I keeping this? [and Karen ~ believe me, I'm really not as totally fearless as it might appear; there is plenty of uncertainty before the always surprising 'eureka' moment when it all comes together...]

Re-purpose - see photo of new ruler holder; see recycled containers for colored pencils and markers (for doodling and playing with layout ideas); see paragraphs below re tie quilt project;

Going through this process has left my studio cleaner (for certain) but also so full of room to breathe ~ I have let go of so much (mentally and emotionally, as well as physically) . . . and the space makes me feel happy now instead of overwhelmed. Now the only problem is not having enough hours in my day or energy left after work to work on all the marvelous ideas that are making themselves felt after a long dry spell.

This year, I hope to realize in late October/early November that my body is just following the same cycle as the seasons ~ the fields need time to lay dormant and apparently, so does my spirit. Instead of worrying and fighting with it, I will try to do a better job of letting it be and travel more gently through that slower, quieter part of my creative cycle. But I will also store up plenty of hand work projects to play with while I sit under the "happy" overhead sunlight bulbs rather than moping about in the darkness (think about the ant and the grasshopper ).

Shifting Gears (warning: sharp left turn ahead) ~

In the photo above, you may have noticed a wedding dress with pressed ties draped over the shoulders ~ this is the result of my brainstorms yesterday.

I have decided to use a single block for my tie quilt ~ happily, sometimes fussy cut, and scrappy with a uniform background and borders yet to be designed - this plan will provide variety, color, and movement with wonderful spaces for Chris to fill with quilting. The phrase "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" has kept running through my head ~ with ties from so many different times, people and places (from France to Texas to Michigan to Indiana and who knows where else) in our lives, that phrase truly fits.

But what to use for the background? What do I have in my stash that would even come close to working? Why not use the now-creamy satin from my wedding dress? I will certainly not be wearing it again ~ the dress has been moved and moved and moved and moved in its lifetime. When we renewed our vows for our 30th anniversary, it and the veil were displayed on a mannequin but they were then returned to yet another closet. It is time to get the dress out of the closet forever and give it new life...

Quiltdivajulie
--------------------------------------------
"Doubt is the father of invention." (Galileo Galilei)
[...which means uncertainty must be the mother...]

10 comments:

jude said...

glad to see you are de-cluttering too. space is important sometimes. i think the now creamy wedding dress will enrich any project. a fabric and a story all in one.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Another masterpiece in the making... I am giddy with anticipation, you have the most wonderful quilt-planning mind; I feel privileged to stand by and watch!

Anonymous said...

Wow makes me want to tidy up my studio.

Anonymous said...

The satin in the dress really plays well with the ties, I say go for it!

*karendianne. said...

"...letting it be and travel more gently through that slower, quieter part of my creative cycle."

That's good stuff! And I still think you're fearless. Look at what you're about to do with that dress and the ties? Amazing!

Wholly Jeanne said...

i have long believed that your physical space is simultaneously reflection of and support to your inner life. congratulations on making space for possibilities to breathe and breed. a wedding dress worn more than 30 years ago as background? yes. absolutely, yes.

jovaliquilts said...

Cleaning out and organizing can be deeply satisfying. I always feel better when I'm in an open, organized space. I think it's great that you're using your wedding dress! The fabric seems perfect, and I have never understood letting a dress languish in the closet, but I am less sentimental than most. My own wedding dress is long gone.

nannergirl said...

I still have my wedding dress in a closet (I'll be celebrating 5 years this summer) and I hope I get to the point where you are one day. I think putting the fabric in a quilt will be a celebration - great idea!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wow, I'm working at some of the same goals, and this post is great inspiration to keep at it. The ties and the dress -- I can hardly wait to see the results!

Thank you!

Jeri said...

I think its inspiring to "watch" you work through your pro cesses. Now that your studio is decluttered I bet your tie quilt will be a joy to work on.