
Taken at sunrise this morning through our sunroom window ~ this magnificent glow lasted only a minute or so before fading into early a.m. daylight ~ but those beautiful moments were truly breathtaking!
I've had several e-mails asking how I made the tie pillows. I'll share here for those who wondered but haven't actually asked. . .
I left these particular neckties "whole" (just like they were worn - not taken apart). They were not washed (since they were not mine, I tried to be extra careful to preserve them in their original condition).
I cut a square of foundation muslin an inch or so larger than the pillow form dimension and then used the zig zag and fancy stitches on my machine to secure the edges of the ties (laid side by side or very slightly overlapped - not stitch and flip) - you'll notice one appears to have a four patch layout - abandoned that idea after the first one because it caused too many very-thick seams and wasted too much of the tie.
I made two-piece backs so that pillow forms could be inserted once the pillow covers were complete.
The back fabric and binding were made from cotton quilting fabric (tried to find something that would blend with all colors and not detract - and it was a stash buster, too). The binding was applied before the pillow forms were inserted ~ far easier to work with than trying to bind a stuffed pillow!
The pillow covers can be removed from the form to be dry cleaned (or washed very carefully - the reds might very well bleed).
Quiltdivajulie
I've had several e-mails asking how I made the tie pillows. I'll share here for those who wondered but haven't actually asked. . .
I left these particular neckties "whole" (just like they were worn - not taken apart). They were not washed (since they were not mine, I tried to be extra careful to preserve them in their original condition).
I cut a square of foundation muslin an inch or so larger than the pillow form dimension and then used the zig zag and fancy stitches on my machine to secure the edges of the ties (laid side by side or very slightly overlapped - not stitch and flip) - you'll notice one appears to have a four patch layout - abandoned that idea after the first one because it caused too many very-thick seams and wasted too much of the tie.
I made two-piece backs so that pillow forms could be inserted once the pillow covers were complete.
The back fabric and binding were made from cotton quilting fabric (tried to find something that would blend with all colors and not detract - and it was a stash buster, too). The binding was applied before the pillow forms were inserted ~ far easier to work with than trying to bind a stuffed pillow!
The pillow covers can be removed from the form to be dry cleaned (or washed very carefully - the reds might very well bleed).
Quiltdivajulie
------------------------------
"I'm not a doctor and I don't know the technical terminology, but I do know that sunshine activates our happiness glands." (Jessi Lane Adams)
1 comment:
Sunshine and happiness, definitely there's a link... medical or not. Thanks for the tutorial on the tie pillows. Have a wonderful day, that photo is gorgeous!
Post a Comment