Earlier this year, I chanced across one of Tonya's "threadies" on her blog. My pieces are not nearly as heavily threaded as hers, but I love her technique!The first is my series was Mindful Moodling (#1064). In the 1930’s, author Brenda Ueland wrote, “If You Want to Write: A book about Art, Independence & Spirit.” I found her book in the craft shop at the John C. Campbell Folk School & I copied this phrase from it into one of my journals: “so you see, imagination needs moodling – long inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering”…
Next came Zerrissenheit.(#1189), which was made using bits and pieces from the oriental stash gathered by my friend Chris. Written and published in 1955: “Woman’s life today is tending more and more toward the state William James describes so well in the German word, “Zerrissenheit – torn-to-pieces-hood.” 'She cannot live perpetually in ‘Zerrissenheit.’ She will be shattered into a thousand pieces. On the contrary, she must consciously encourage those pursuits which oppose the centrifugal forces of today. Quiet time alone, contemplation, prayer, music, a centering line of thought or reading, of study or work. It can be physical or intellectual or artistic, any creative life proceeding from oneself.” [excerpted from Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s Gift From the Sea].
Then came Mindful Moodling, II (Kudzu, Jr.) (#1351); followed by Mindful Moodling, III (Irrational Exuberance) (#1427). Kudzu, Jr. was made using bits of the many greens left over from our nephew Matt’s high school graduation quilt. Irrational Exuberance was made using random scraps of wild pinks and noisy purples from my stash. One of my favorite times to work on these projects is during my lunch hour - it's soul centering and fat free!
Next came Zerrissenheit.(#1189), which was made using bits and pieces from the oriental stash gathered by my friend Chris. Written and published in 1955: “Woman’s life today is tending more and more toward the state William James describes so well in the German word, “Zerrissenheit – torn-to-pieces-hood.” 'She cannot live perpetually in ‘Zerrissenheit.’ She will be shattered into a thousand pieces. On the contrary, she must consciously encourage those pursuits which oppose the centrifugal forces of today. Quiet time alone, contemplation, prayer, music, a centering line of thought or reading, of study or work. It can be physical or intellectual or artistic, any creative life proceeding from oneself.” [excerpted from Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s Gift From the Sea].
Then came Mindful Moodling, II (Kudzu, Jr.) (#1351); followed by Mindful Moodling, III (Irrational Exuberance) (#1427). Kudzu, Jr. was made using bits of the many greens left over from our nephew Matt’s high school graduation quilt. Irrational Exuberance was made using random scraps of wild pinks and noisy purples from my stash. One of my favorite times to work on these projects is during my lunch hour - it's soul centering and fat free!
Now, I’m stitching my way through Mindful Moodling IV. Thursdays are my day to cover the front desk/answer the phones at lunchtime. Yesterday, as I was stitching away on this piece, two of my co-workers asked me what I was going to name it ... so I asked them for suggestions and Dena came up with a great name - Blue Lagoon. What fun!
***********************************
To see more about the Priority Quilt project, please click here.
5 comments:
Blue Lagoon is a perfect name! Love the intensity of color.
Moodling -- what a great concept! I think a lot happens during playtime.
Moodling? Moodling! I love it. your piece is looking great.
yes, it's that happy pottering that restores the mind to health, isn't it?
You have the best quotes, they will find their way into my own quotation book for future pondering. I love it that quotes are just scraps of a greater work; really ties in with the whole patchwork thing.....
I'm going to get a cup of coffee and read through all your posts.
I love your quote about moodling, what a wonderful word!
Post a Comment