
My sister slept under a Sunbonnet Sue comforter much of the time that she was growing up. Last year, I took it all apart and created an entirely new quilt for Susie using the hand-pieced sunbonnet girls originally made by my paternal grandmother and reproduction fabrics.
I was very new to digital photography when I took this "before" photo. I wish now that I had gotten better ones. Oh well...

Now, my sister has loaned her new quilt back to me so that I can enter it in this year's Mid-South Fair (entries are due tomorrow but the results won't be available until the fair opens on Sept. 21).


Yes, Chris did the amazing quilting work...and before I return the quilt to my sister, I'm going to add a hanging sleeve so that it can be displayed instead of stored. To see photos of all 5 quilts that I'm entering, along with photos of the 5 pieces that Larry is entering in the woodturning categories, please click here.
(Added later: the quilt won a blue ribbon and "best of show" ribbon for its category!)
5 comments:
you did a great job of salvaging those old Sue's! They are sure to bring a smile to your sister's face for many a more year now :-)
What a transformation to those Sues! This will be full of memories for your sister and the quilt will last much longer than the the comforter. What a good sister you are.
Your husband's work is lovely, hope you both win something.
I really like New Crayons. I think you have some winners that you are entering. Your husband's work is fantastic.
Julie,
I am proud to have been allowed to take part in restoring this family quilt. It is truly delightful!!!!
Sincerely,
Chris Ballard
I love it
Post a Comment