In the last post, I mentioned my dilemma for backing Rastro.
The large scale floral in this photo was intended to back Motley (the fourth Macnas series bonus quilt). After weeks of dithering, I finally decided that Motley, the top, will be donated to Many Hands and Many Hearts so it can become a comfort quilt.
That decision left the floral yardage available and, truth be told, I like it better for Rastro than either of the other scrappy pieced backing options.
There wasn't enough yardage to match the design along the center seam so I inserted a strip of Kaffe Fassett 's 2021 Moss Flower.
And now there are two freshly pressed backings hanging on the balcony - Rastro's on the left and the one for Ludiosis on the right. (both are approximately 62" x 84").
And speaking of Ludiosis, despite my earlier statements about setting the blocks aside for later, this has become a full-on project (thank you, studio squirrels).
I simply had to put some of the blocks up on the design wall to reassure myself that my plan would work. Happily, there's definitely enough potential to keep going. As of Thursday evening, I need only another 30-40 blocks before I can take these off the wall and start on the real layout.
I'm very glad I did not follow the tutorial's suggestion to sew everything into one massively long strip before pressing and trimming individual blocks. I've had so much fun adding the narrow cut off edges into the fabric mix and trimming the 4.5" blocks a little along.
* * *
With another ten days with temperatures in the high 90s predicted, I'm hopeful this run of available studio time continues.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment