Monday, July 20, 2026

Where Things Stand


This is a photo of Ruska, a Camp Sefton collaborative quilt from earlier this year, laid out over my drafting/cutting table; but the photo was taken from the back side.  

I had to clean up my paper art table so the top and later the back could drape overtop and stay flat for rolling onto the pool noodles.


Ruska is now fully pin basted and I've chosen the thread color.  This is going to be a very hectic week with a lot of coming and going but I hope to fit some quilting time in the gaps.


Meanwhile, Nimiety is now a quilt top - 52" wide x 72" long.


And after a bit of a tussle, the scrappy pieced back has been pressed.  

This is the center section that shows all the different fabrics.   


Here is the top for Yutori, no. 13 in the series of 13 Macnas quilts, laid over the drafting table ready to be rolled onto the pool noodle.


This is a BEFORE photo of the backing for Yutori . . .  


And this was taken after the finished back was pressed.    


At this point, both Nimiety's top and back AND Yutori's top and back are rolled onto pool noodles, ready for pin basting . . . I just couldn't stick Nimiety in the waiting to be quilted closet when the top and back were freshly pressed, so I'm going to quilt it before I start on the four bonus quilts from the Macnas series.

Quilting these 3 will be a breeze compared to all this prep work.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Dwelling on negative thoughts is like fertilizing weeds."
Norman Vincent Peale

7 comments:

Julierose said...

You have some lovely quilts in process there, QDJulie--love the backing on Yutori--just a gorgeous print...
Helga is set up for quilting so I have a few more littles lined up after i finish the 4th Summer placemat--hopefully today.
Hugs, Julierose

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Such lovely quilts. Seriously.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Non-quilters have no clue the amount of prep work that goes into each stage of making a quilt. Lots of pretty colors in this post.

cityquilter grace said...

ooh love ruska....and all the others too...you do have lovely fabrics to play with

Charlotta said...

I will add to what Wanda said that those of us who use longarm quilters also blissfully miss out on a lot of what I consider the tedious and difficult work connected with quilting the quilt! This post reminded me of it, and of how much I appreciate my longarm quilter and do not at all begrudge her the very reasonable fee she charges. I have never liked machine quilting at all - if I had a longarm machine I expect I might feel differently, but I do not want one. I’ve never been good at quilting on my regular machine. The times I’ve done it, the results have been far from satisfactory. I’m not even very good at making a good quilt sandwich. There are always puckers, the top doesn’t come out parallel to the back, so there is barely enough back on one side and way too much on another, and the back looks wonky even though it was made to look straight. The few times I have quilted a quilt it’s been because I did not have time to send it out, so I did not have time to redo it either and had to live with how it turned out. Not happily, but whatever. I try hard not to put myself in that situation. I much prefer to handquilt, but obviously that’s not an option when I’m in a time crunch.
I very rarely handquilt anything these days. It is too time consuming. If I want handwork, I prefer to hand piece, and I regularly do that. I find that very peaceful and much easier to deal with. It travels easily, and by definition is small pieces. Block by block it’s handy to work on, and when all the blocks are done, they can be sewn together by machine. It’s a lot easier than fooling with trying to hand quilt a big bulky quilt, which is also very warm to sit under as you quilt it. In Kentucky where I live, most of the time it’s too hot for me, and I already run the a/c, so it doesn’t make sense for me to sit under a quilt and have to artificially make it even cooler in the house to be minimally comfortable.

Cherie Moore said...

I have to confess, I like Nimiety’s backing better than the front……I just love your pieced backing!! Isn’t it lovely to have all three quilts ready for when you want to move forward?

Nann said...

Oooh, what a bold print for Yutori!