Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Xanadu - the Quilt


I finished Xanadu in mid-June but couldn't share these photos until the quilt had been gifted.


These just-finished photos were taken on one of the in-between-rain-showers days, hence the gloomy sky in the background.


I bought the backing in 2024 because I loved it and it was on sale

(Xanadu by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch for Benartex, Style # 16152)

The HST fabrics all came from the stash, including the background fabric which had taken up residence in the stash back in 2023. 

(‘On Dragonfly Wings’ – “Splatter” – White/Pearl by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch Gallery for Benartex) 

It wasn't until I noted the selvage info for my tracking sheet that I realized the two fabrics were by the same designer - what a happy coincidence.


A day or so later, the sun peeked out so I took this additional photo with the quilt on one of our back porch rocking chairs. 

Quilted with my liberated all-over nested spirals using Glide thread in Amethyst. 

* * *

The already-much-loved quilt was gifted this past weekend to elder son and DIL in honor of their 20th anniversary.  

Yet another example of how time flies!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"If I create from the heart nearly everything works; if from the head, almost nothing."
Marc Chagall

6 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely Anniversary gift, QDJulie--I am sure it will be cherished...
summer has arrived here, too; we are expecting record breaking heat and humidity levels the rest of this week, so I did my weekly food shopping early this morning. Plus the run up to the 4th always sees the stores extra crowded with everyone flocking to our beaches here...so far we are not expecting company, but you never know...hugs, Julierose

Cherie Moore said...

It is gorgeous and the backing couldn’t be more perfect!! A lovely, lovely anniversary gift.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Lovely!! these are some of my most favorite colors!

Vicki W said...

What a wonderful celebration quilt!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a colourful quilt and that backing - wow - I love it! Yes, time certainly does fly by. Love colour in your garden in addition to your quilts, beautiful pink of the blooms on the crepe myrtle. It's years since I heard of moles - we used to have them around our part of the North of England and they could be a nuisance, but I thin k they'.re cute to look at! Definitely a good idea to have projects to play with inside the house when the weather is hot and you're still playing with lots of colour!.

Ann said...

A lovely finish. How fun to have some large pieces from the same designer. Congratulation to you on your colorful quilt and to your son and DiL on their 20th anniversary. I wish them many more happy years together.