Monday, May 18, 2026

Time for Holus-Bolus


As I worked my way through the Macnas series, I used leftover rectangles to piece blocks for a bonus quilt named Holus-Bolus.

(adverb - all at once; altogether)


This is the second set of blocks from the last few quilts in the Macnas series.  

(Rectangles from Yutori, No. 13 in the series, will not be part of the series of four bonus quilts since it was added well after the other projects were designed/pieced)


After considerable fussing, tweaking, and fiddling, this is the layout I'll use.

The vertical columns are sewn but I'm waiting before the columns are sewn to each other in case I decide to test out any different arrangements.


The backing is one that I've had for a long time - it has finally found its quilt top.

("Petra" from Blank Quilting)


I'm glad I checked the box of leftover/abandoned bindings because this one will be perfect with Holus Bolus.  

It's always nice to find binding waiting instead of having to make more.

* * *

Once finished, the top for Holus-Bolus will measure in the neighborhood of 48" x 64".  

I'm considering a 2.5" border but so far haven't found a fabric in the stash that I like enough to cut test strips.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"What keeps my heart awake is colorful silence."
Claude Monet

7 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

A rainbow of leftovers is a perfect way to make an additional quilt, Julie. Love it!

Nann said...

What fun! And the backing is just right.

Julierose said...

WOW--what a great way to use up leftover extra cuts from your Macnas series quilts;))) Love that backing fabric, too--so vibrant...
so QDJulie-ish;)))
I was able to cut my strip set inserts for JR--[sadly the JR has a whole lot of very lights in it]--so finding the right "pops" without that "in your eye" look has been a challenge...we'll see how it comes together--time for my nap now!! Hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a fun layout!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I just love all the fabrics in this quilt! You always have the best low volumes. For some reason, I can't pick them out very well when ordering online and there are so few quilt stores nearby.

Kathy S. said...

Great fabric choice for the backing. Sometimes it just has to wait for its time to shine.

Mystic Quilter said...

I cant' quite believe the speed you're moving at with this quilt series - tremendous Julie and once again an amazing mix of fabrics.