Back in December, Cathy L. sent me this box stuffed full of postage saved from her years of quilt block swaps. What an unexpected delight.
I couldn't cut up the groupings - I just couldn't - so instead I trimmed away the excess envelope paper, peeled away the bubblewrap layers, and sorted the rest into domestic metered, domestic stamps, international metered, and international stamps.
Then I tucked them safely in a drawer until I came up with a good way to showcase them.
Not long ago I thrifted the "G" volume from a set of 1938 World Book Encyclopedias, and realized it would be ideal for Cathy's stamps.
So I started gluing . . .
I had so much fun re-reading the postmarks, finding these four from MI where I grew up and IN near where we spent the first decade years of our married life.
I enjoyed the many stamps from Finland with their varied subjects and cheerful colors, especially the Moomin stamps (see final photo).
The Bakery Hill Post Office postmark tickled me.
I miss the days when postal workers hand cancelled stamps without obliterating them like they do now with the wide black marker streaks.
Thank you, Cathy!
* * *
I'll be back tomorrow with my March recap, the April 1 backyard photo, and my goals for the coming month.
Quiltdivajulie
"Creativity is not the possession of some special talent. It's about the willingness to play."
John Cleese
6 comments:
What a lovely gift you've received!! I like that you left the envelope around the edges of those stamps...they look great on those encyc. pages...hugs, Julierose
What a brilliant use of that wonderfully old edition of the encyclopedia (do you hear Jiminy Cricket singing the spelling?!) and how kind of Cathy to send that delicious array of stamps and cancellations!
Hugs!
What fun! I would have trouble putting the stamps in as I would want to read all of the entries! I remember my brother and Dad collecting stamps and pouring over batches of stamps they would get in the mail from some collector's source.
Finland has some beautiful stamps.
Such a great idea using old stamps! If you would like more worldwide stamps, please message me.
Oh, so cool! (And I'm amazed that Cathy saved the stamps and the meter stickers.)
Post a Comment