This was our one backyard pot just after it was planted last spring . . .
and this is that same pot now. The coleus have grown so tall they have started to lean outward, especially since we had several windy days.
This was the small pot of coleus we planted near our Chinese Maple tree . . .
and this is that same plant now - when I stand next to it, the top of the plant is near my shoulders.
(We started the season with pink petunias in the hanging basket but the intense summer heat was just too much for them so they've been retired and replaced with white vinca that will carry us through until frost.)
Perhaps the most surprising contrast is this part of our side yard. The three pots with spikes . . .
now look like this. DH stuck some random broken-off pieces of coleus in the dirt and they really took off.
You can also see how much the hosta in the fourth pot has grown - in the spring we'll plant hostas in a couple more of the backyard pots now that we've seen how well they winter.
Mother Nature never fails to astound and amaze me.
* * *
There has been zero sewing and only a bit of paper play this week. The second covid test was also negative but we all know summer colds are no fun.
My head is still fuzzy and my energy is coming back slowly but only for short periods of time, so I'm doing things like cutting up old magazines, sorting and filing papers, and a lot of reading when I can keep from dozing off.
Fingers crossed the slow improvement continues - my fabrics are calling me.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Rest and recovery are just as important as hustle and grind."
Dave Hollis
8 comments:
Beautiful container gardens! Feel better, my friend; I'm sending hugs and best wishes for your energy to return quickly!
Hostas are perennial where I live - but I plant them in the ground. And I am pretty sure you have seen how they love it here.
Just lovely containers--they did beautifully this Summer.
I hope you feel better soon--Summer colds are no fun at all!! Rest, rest, and more rest...oh--and plenty of fluids, too.
Sending healing thoughts, hugs, Julierose
Coleus is always a winner in my pots. I have left the flowers lately since it is close to end of the season. I have had good luck with hostas in pots too over many years. I can only remember 2 that didn't make it through the winter.
Your plant pots look gorgeous. You must be diligent about watering and fertilizing. The coleus are amazing. I haven't grown any of those the last few years. I hope you feel better soon.
Pat
What a green thumb you have! Gorgeous plants. Feel better quickly!
Your plants look great, but reminded me I need to get an "after" shot of my garden where the tomato plants are bushes! (Better get it soon, though, as the fall die-off has started.) And I also remember reading about your cold and thinking how that stinks but glad that I am healthy and then BAM, I got one, too. I think it's about run it's course, but dang it has been rough. I hate being sick and I'm a bad patient.
Wow! Your coleus have exploded most exuberantly!
Bummer about the summer cold as they can nearly knock the stuffing out of you but as you say, it's not covid!!! In the meantime, pet some yardage while you sit.
Hugs!
Post a Comment