Wednesday, July 16, 2025

Those Darn Squirrels



After I pin basted Esperance's quilt sandwich (click here for a quick recap), I had quite a bit of usable scrappy backing leftover.  I also had one column for the back that wasn't included (too short).  

Hmmmm - I know, make a long runner - and so I did.

Here is a front view of the 70” x 10” finished runner and below it a scrappy slab pieced from the leftover scrappy backing.


Here's a detail shot of the front.


And this is a view of the finished runner's back - pieced with remaining fabrics from the original quilt top.

(I'm saving that scrappy slab until I see how much usable fabric is available after Esperance is quilted)  


Here's a detail view of the runner's reverse side.


And this is where the new runner resides.  

I guess I should thank the squirrels for heckling me because I really do love how this looks.


The squirrels struck once again as I was tidying up the studio.

First I made the remaining blocks for Holus Bolus using leftover rectangles from the planned series of twelve Macnas quilts. 

(you can see the larger group of completed blocks HERE)


Before I closed that box of rectangles, I realized there were way too many to make a single bonus quilt or even two bonus quilts.

And so I pulled out the rectangles leftover from Fandango (No. 7) and mixed them with the pink rectangles leftover from making Blossoms.

Introducing GITHERMENTS (a random assortment of unmatching things).  The design will be akin to Comfortable and Caim once I decide what to use for the 2.5" squares.


By creating Githerments, I also have a fun new way to use the set aside scrappy pink backing from Trouvaille.

I'll also include the scrappy pink HRTs from Pretty in Pink, more pinks from PinP and Blossoms along with the pieced Cherrywoods from Fandango to create a seriously scrappy stash-busting back.

(this one will not happen until the other Macnas series quilts are done - unless the squirrels get in the way again)


And this is what's left in the box of leftover rectangles now.  


Definitely enough to make Rastro (design change under development) with some leftover.


The plan is to add whatever is left from Rastro's design to these scrappy end cuts and other recent scrappy leftovers to make scrappy slabs for whatever other idea(s) the squirrels come up with. 




In closing - Nancy S. sent this to me a while ago - it totally sums up what's been happening in my head and studio for the past few days.

Time to get a grip and get back to piecing Wallaroo (No. 6).
 

Quiltdivajulie

5 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

What a glorious riot of colors, ideas, and possibilities in this post and can see how those notes help you get back on track from the squirrel induced projects!.
LOVE the cartoon. :-)

Hugs!

Julierose said...

Love that table runner--such a glorious mix of prints--it looks great on the bookcase...I guess some squirrels are okay to let in the house hahaha;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Sally Warren said...

Enjoyed hearing your ideas for new quilts as well as looking back at the old ones that inspire new ones. Love all the colors! The cartoon! And I always learn new words! I am in awe about the ones you find.

greaterexp said...

That cartoon sums up my life! Your color choices for these projects just make my day. Wonderful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That was a great squirrel tho!!!