The first few rows of Fandango (Macnas series no. 7) are sewn with row six pinned to row 5.
I'm building the top one row at a time using the previously sorted-onto-plates blocks, and the narrow table behind my machine's table is there for extra support as the quilt top grows towards row 18.
I also discovered that by angling my portable cutting mat off the end of the machine's table, I can lay the top out full width as I determine placement for the 4" blocks in each additional row.
I am working on a how-I-do-it post with my progression of steps for these quilts. Hopefully sometime next week I'll have it ready to share.
Next - in the lower left you can see Fandango's first few rows.
In the project box are the 300+ leftover/extra rectangles for Githerments (a Macnas series bonus quilt) with end-squares pinned in place, ready for leader ender action when the time comes.
All 300+ 2.5" squares were harvested from leftover Macnas quilt black/white rectangles and/or trimmings from previous projects. No yardage was needed - it is truly remarkable the possibilities that lurk within those leftover bits and pieces.
Next - these are the sewn/pressed blocks for Hanabi (Macnas series no. 10). They were leader-ender sewn while I created the top for Vellichor.
Next - these are the sewn/pressed blocks for Morning Fog (Macnas series no. 11). They were leader-ender sewn while I pieced the top for Wallaroo (Macnas series no. 6).
And finally - these are the first batch of sewn/finger pressed blocks for Paint Party (Macnas series no. 12). I'm sewing these pairs as leader-enders while I assemble the top for Fandango.
(I realize leader-enders aren't for everyone but for a series of quilts like these, the method works amazingly well with my own process)
* * *
To see more on my Macnas series of quilts, click HERE.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Whenever you are creating beauty around you, you are restoring your own soul."
Alice Walker
9 comments:
I am luving your system you've got going for these different verities of quilts
I love the quote you selected for today…….elegantly stated!
I really like your color choices for the proposed "Fog" piece--very atmospheric, QD Julie! Hugs for a good weekend Julierose
I am eager to see Morning Fog; I believe it will be my favorite from this series.
Your process is so productive, and results in beautiful quilts every time! I am in awe of your stash - excuse me, fabric resources.
All of your quilts will be fantastic! I dread to think of how many potential quilts I threw away before I started saving scraps and how much thread I wasted before using leaders/enders. I can hardly wait to see your finished quilts!
I’m always interested to read how other quilters address their scraps. Finding a single block and repeating it in many color ways is my favorite, too. Have fun!
I'm dizzy just trying to keep up with all your many Macnas projects. Your streamlined process really lets you go all out. What will you do with all the resulting quilts?
Pat
Love your quilts and methods that suit you so well!
My computer monitor died so am just now back in business!
Hugs!
Post a Comment