Monday, May 5, 2025

Postcard Project Moves Forward



After I finished the fronts of all 20 postcards for the swap sponsored by iHanna, I started thinking about what I would do with the postcards I receive in the mail next month.

I didn't want to stick them in a box or an album - but what about an altered book filled with pages/pockets where I could tuck the postcards?  YES!

A while back I had removed the book block from a copy of Buzz Aldrin's book (thrifted copy) and added a three ring binder mechanism to the empty spine.

Water color paper cut to size and hole punched worked perfectly for the pages while folded/trimmed pages from a vintage atlas became slightly oversize pockets for the 4" x 6" cards.

(my postcards are tucked into the pockets until it is time to write on the reverse sides and send them on their way)


Here's another page . . . 


But then what to do with the book's solid black cover and the spine's blue foiled text?

After a bit of pondering it was obvious what I needed to do.  The postcards all feature postage stamps which told me I needed to use more postage stamps on the cover.  

The photo above shows the book's newly collaged front cover.


Here is the spine (no more blue foil lettering) . . .


. . . and here is the collaged back cover.


This is a photo of the opened cover.  I love how it totally honors my guiding words - liberated, eclectic, scrappy, and colorful.

* * *


While I was still at the paper art table, I went ahead and made my shipping tag for week 18 of the Full Deck Challenge 3 (see Shanouki Arts on You Tube).

Next week's prompt will be JUNK.  Going with the very first idea that popped into my head, I collaged my tag using torn bits of an old book page and added a four ransom letters.


This is the back side of the tag.  

Now it is time to go play with fabric!

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Painting calmed the chaos that shook my soul."
Niki de St. Phalle

5 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

You're one busy lady but isn't it good that you can have a change from fabric to work on your tags, postcards or journals. I think it's a good thing to diversify now and then. with our passions!

Julierose said...

Oh!! I just love your postcard book, QDJulie!! It is a beautiful way to store those swapped postcards in place--so easy to take them out and read them...The covers are perfect with the stamps abounding;}}}..Lovely work on this project.
I am taking a bit of a break from my own paper crafting--Coverlet of Comfort (Dark Days) is taking a lot of my time being all by hand (well, mostly!!). But enjoying the journey...Hugs for a good upcoming week...Julierose

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wonderfully creative! You never cease to amaze me.

Nann said...

Splendid. Just splendid. I am in awe.

iHanna said...

Looove your postcard binder Julie, it's so much fun! And practical as well. Well done.