Monday, January 6, 2025

Stalled - But Why?

Saturday I pulled out the cut strips for Shirts and Such so I could sort them into twelve rows using my plate method. 

I divided the first plateful into three groups and started sewing strips together.

The original plan to include scrappy pieced inserts was a total fail - the inserts did not play well as their colors were just too strong and dominant.  No worries - they can go elsewhere.

When I took this photo and realized how long the paired rows for Repose have been waiting on the design wall, I got to thinking about WHY I wasn't finishing that top instead of starting another.

Hmmmmm -- 





























In real life, the Repose top is much lighter than it looks in the photos.  The proposed backing was also low key (you can see it in this post).

After finishing Spoondrift, I realized that I wanted a darker backing for Repose to ground those light-colored tumblers.  But what to use?

(the funny part is that when I looked back through previous posts for Repose, the original backing plan was a dark print with pink flowers, since used for another quilt)

I had already decided to quilt Repose with a soft pink thread so I needed a backing that had some connection to pink.   In looking at the backing fabrics waiting in the closet, this one grabbed my attention even though it was planned for another pending project.

When I put it up on the wall beside Repose, I knew it was the right choice.  AND the scrappy insert strips rejected from Shirts and Such can be used in the center back seam of Repose. 

Win-Win.



But that decision left this fabric pull for a planned scrappy sixteen patch now named GRANDIOSE without a backing.  

The solution was waiting in the closet  - Vintage Grandiose by Philip Jacobs.

YES.







Of course all of that rummaging about in the waiting to be quilted/planned backings closet got me thinking about the planned scrappy backing for Shirts and Such (you can see those fabrics HERE).

This "Midnight Hydrangea" from Studio e has been in the closet for a very long time.  I'm glad it hadn't been used before now because it is perfect for Shirts and Such.  (the fabric on the right will be used for binding - I think).  

* * *

Bottom line - it pays to stop and make yourself put into words why a project is stalled AND it pays to be willing to change things around while shopping your own stash.

p.s.  you can see more for any of these projects by using the labels below.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The seed of your next artwork lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece."
David Bayles

10 comments:

Julierose said...

I find it difficult to get to the reason I've stopped making or stalled on pieces, too. This may become the year of finishing the WIPS --or at least a couple months of them--I am so sick of seeing them hanging about in my spare room closet...!! Since DH and I are on a general household purge, I figure this is a good way to begin for my own "stuff" --"so much stuff'--!! ;((((
I like your ideas for both Repose and Shirts and Such pieces QDJulie...Looking forward to seeing them come together...
hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Hiding in plain sight. All of these fabrics you had under your roof, but it took articulating the issue to make them behave and show their true colors. Bravo to you for taking the time and following the process out. Takes time and work, and a lot of trust. Everyone of those you showed now looks the best they can, integrated with the right color, value, texture and print.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have a couple stalled projects that need their therapy session asking why they are stalled.

Nann said...

So Vintage Grandiose is actually the name? Perfect. (I had a similar experience with a print called Endeavor, which I found in the stash while we were watching Endeavour on PBS.)

Barbara Anne said...

Love your sensible methods and open mind when you're having a think! What yummy fabrics, too!
6" of snow and now ice on top. "Snow Day" is still a thrilling thing to hear and good day to stay home!

Hugs!

Mary said...

I also have at least one stalled project, but I'm still not ready to look at it again. Glad you were able to get some resolution.

Mystic Quilter said...

Great reading on the subject of stalled projects - mine of course is on the wall - Sailing the Seven Seas - may be able to work a short time next week on this. Love your last sentence! So happy to see that you're back and able to be quilting again.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That shuffling worked out well, Julie. Best of luck with these projects!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your mix of blues & greys for 'shirts & such'.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Shirts and Such is so cool with all its prints!! I hope you get unstalled - it looks like its my kind of quilt ;-)