In my earlier post sharing plans for 2025, I mentioned I was thinking about making one set of tags using "paper" and a second set using fabric.
So I decided to try this nine tag experiment with fabric . . .
Before stitching the fabrics to the front side of each tag, I used Modge Podge Super Matte to apply sewing pattern tissue to the back sides and a small portion of the front.
I like the Super Matte more than regular Modge Podge since it dries without any shine. I'm still not in love with the sticky fingers business but for this limited scale project it was worth the effort.
These are the finished tags - scraps from the resource boxes, buttons from the stash, and threads from my slow stitching box.
That center button was part of a big bag of buttons gifted to me from a former co-worker's mother's stash. I'm happy to have found a home for it at last.
I'm not sure where either of these buttons came from but I like the details on them.
The center button here has a ring of dark green "glitter" that sparkles in real life.
These are the back sides of the finished tags.
(I used my bookbinding awl to poke through the button holes and tags before stitching - no sense in stressing my hands any more than necessary)
Those of you with eagle eyes may have noticed one tag didn't show any stitches on the reverse side.
That's because on the red tag I added snippets of sari ribbon behind the buttons. Once the buttons and ribbons were sewed together, I used my Scor double sided tape to ahere the units to the fabric card front.
* * *
Experiment Result - I am happy with the way these came together and with the way they look hanging on their binder ring; BUT I will not be making a parallel set of fabric tags to go with the 52 tag challenge. I will mix these 9 in with the other 52 as the challenge progresses, but there are other projects I'd rather use my time on.
In other studio news, the top for Repose (the low volume tumblers) is nearly sewn together - one more long horizontal seam followed by a good pressing and it will be time for a "flimsy reveal" post. Stay tuned . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Doing and making are acts of hope."
Sister Corita Kent
5 comments:
Neat fabric tags, QDJulie--Are you going to use them in a junk journal as journaling cards? They are really pretty nice work
I have never used modge podge...looks like it gives a nice finish on these. Hugs, Julierose
Love the tags, especially the pattern tissue.
What richly colored tags and their embellishments are a delight! You might string them together and hang them on a skinny bit of wall space in your home ... or not! We have several such skinny bits of wall space in our home.
Hugs!
This looks doable. I may jump in using tags rather than playing cards.
Cool! I really like these. They appeal to me for some reason. I can see them made with Christmas fabrics and used on gifts. Nice!
Post a Comment