Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Junque Journal Ashlyn


An unused weekly planner has become my latest "junque" journal.

(spelling borrowed from Julierose - I like this spelling much better than the more-frequently-used-but-to-me-overly-negative "junk" spelling)

I'm also going to borrow Cathy L's naming protocol.  She uses hurricane names for her orphan block quilts.  I'm going to use the names of female characters from books I'm reading or have read.  In this case, Ashlyn Greer is the main character in Echoes of Old Books by Barbara Davis.


So many different kinds of papers and scraps, bits and bobs, and a few words/quotes tucked into this one.

(painted paper on right by Jennifer Wilkin Penick)


A glassine envelope holds a thank you note with a most interesting glass element on its front cover.


Torn pieces of leftover scrapbook paper and a quote sticker from Dori Patrick.


Another painted paper from Jennifer Wilkin Penick, one of this year's Fodder School 3 teachers.


Another piece of her drawn art tucked into a pocket embellished with a tea bag cover brought back from Ireland last year by DDIL.


Another recent thank you note tucked into a painted paper pocket (maker unknown).


An embellished seed envelope with an old photo tucked inside.


This page features scrapbook paper, a repurposed envelope, an art card (maker unknown), a magazine photo, and a vintage photo with an inscription to Marty "who I will love forever."


This repurposed envelope contains a scrap of vintage handwritten ledger paper.


A page from one of Young Man's long-ago maze books with an added "field trip" label.


"Meh" - a Dori Patrick sticker - found its forever home on this page.


Not sure what I'll add to this page, or even if I will.  I quite like the simplicity of it.


And this is JJ-Ashlyn's back cover featuring a page from a thrifted childrens' book.

There are roughly 50 pages in this journal - these are just some of my favorites.

* * *

I don't know when the next journal of this type will happen.  Probably when the bits and bobs threaten to overflow their allotted space or when the urge to sit and glue papers onto pages strikes.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Be alert to what appeals to you and then explore why."
Dianne Hricko

4 comments:

Julierose said...

What lovely pages in your junque journal;))) I especially like the frontspiece saying--and the faded rose page is amazing, QDJulie.
Great job on this..[.happy you like my made up word: "junque" and are using it too;)) ] Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

Another handmade book with delight and/or wisdom on every page you've shown. No doubt there is more joy in the pages not (or not yet!) shown.
Hot summer days are a perfect time for this endeavor - especially if the humidity is high.

Hugs!

Nancy said...

I like how you've elevated "Junque". Your journal is very appealing. Honestly, I don't see how people can throw out such lovely pieces of paper. And I'm sure they don't see why I feel the need to keep them! I just put a post on my blog about using "leftovers". And you're right about the urge to cut and glue coming over us at unpredictable moments- it's for real! Thanks for sharing this.

Paulette said...

What a fun junque journal! I like the spiral binding; I bet that makes it much easier to make pages when the whole thing lies flat. I did my second junk journal in July (following the JJJ prompts), and it was a lot of fun. It's led me to try other things, so I'm enjoying the newbie rush of that now. :)