Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Blame the Squirrels


All I can say is THE SQUIRRELS MADE ME DO IT.

(I've added photos of my studio squirrels Chase, Hunter, Mischief, and Flash in the blog's sidebar)


I have been harvesting words for the longest time to use in my journals so I guess it was inevitable that I would eventually cut those words into individual letters . . . 


I'm using glassine envelopes to contain the cut out letters.  

I cut a bunch then sort them into their respective envelopes.  

It's a good evening project when my brain is tired or there's too much chaos to focus on fabric.


I chose a 5" x 8" mixed media paper blank journal and fancied up the front cover with this page from a recent magazine (not sure which one, sorry).

The large ABC came from a printer test page.


Another magazine page graces the inside front cover.

I've left a few blank pages at the beginning so I can go back and create a ransom letter title page once the journal itself is closer to being "done."


The two-page spread with "A" is  filled - this is page 1.


And this is the second of the two pages.


Page 1 for the letter "B" and . . . 


page two.  Clearly I still need to fill in the open spaces after more harvesting and cutting.


The letter "O" - page 1.


Letter "O" - page 2.  

I've created the beginnings of the two-page spreads through the letter "Q" meaning there are only a few more two-page spreads to get started.

I'm still debating how to handle the letters "X-Y-Z."   

So far the plan is to combine them into one spread but time will tell.


Another magazine page covers the inside back cover's blank cardboard.


And this magazine page serves perfectly as the back cover.

* * *

So where am I finding the eclectic mix of letters for this journal?

Magazines, brochures, catalogs, assorted forms of junk mail, packaging of all sorts, and my thrifted stash of sheet music and pre-school books.  Like Lynne's post the other day, letters are everywhere if we just pay attention.

Like squirrels burying nuts, there's no specific deadline for this project.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."
Twyla Tharp

9 comments:

Millie said...

Your ABC book is called a “morgue”. It’s a. Like toon of letters and fonts graphic artists collect to use as inspiration and as a source of ideas.

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - you are a queen of details! I love that YOU do it so I won't have to! 8-))) But the end result is stunning .... uhhh, I don't do stunning.

Julierose said...

What fun with the alpha letters' pages!!:)) I have made a small alpha glue book with not only letters but images starting with the letters...that's a fun project, too.
Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

Brilliant!

I don't know if The Art Center is still on Union Ave near Belvedere, but long ago they had a wonderful alphabet poster on the wall with each letter in a different font.

Your imagination is clearly past wonderful!

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, my jaw is hanging open. In my head, since I saw a Pinterest idea and remembering what I wanted to work on long ago, your journal covers are the quilt ideas I have been germinating. Lots of scrap in the background sewn together with large applique over. I have had B&W background ideas and blue and green ones like landscapes. I cannot figure out how I would make them, but they have emerged in my head. And then I saw your journal cover and pages!

Nann said...

Wow -- a FONT of variety.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun, Julie! I have often thought of making an ABC journal, but I envisioned pages of items that began with each letter. I'm loving the variety of fonts you've found to include!

Nancy said...

Well the same squirrels visit here, too! I love your letter journal, and notice the first comment calls it a "morgue". That's interesting. All those wonderful fonts. Plus I'm a big fan of "ransom note" sayings in journals, so there's that. My squirrels also have me focused on hang tags currently. I made a tiny little journal with one. Hang tags are underrated- people toss them without thinking and they have great art on them often times. Your journal looks like great fun to me!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I love this post! Hard to decide what I like the most - words/letters or color. You know how that feels. Oh, good to 'find' you again. I'm older, not much wiser, but still quilting with a life full of squirrels.