Monday, January 15, 2024

One Down, More to Go (Photo Heavy)


This was the scene at 6:30 am when the feels-like temp was -4.

(temps below zero are very unusual for these parts)

The snow continues to "flurry" and will for another few hours.  

I know 5-6 inches is nothing compared to what some of you are dealing with, but that much is a pretty big deal here.


Instead of working  one prompt a day along with the January journal folks, I went ahead and did my own thing using their prompts.

This is the cover of my now-finished altered book.

I hadn't planned on tying the salvaged Sudoku page signatures in place but when the no-sew method I tried failed, I resorted to Plan B.

As it turns out, I'm oddly happy with the end result.


Inside front cover with this volume of Heidi's original owner signature/date still visible.


I'm going to share a few of my favorite two-page spreads.




I'm especially pleased with this one as I had never made a tea bag book before.

I used a no-sew tutorial I found online but next time, I think I will stitch the spine rather than using her glue-up method.


The journal cards in each of the empty tea bag "pockets" bear another word that is meaningful to me.




The sewing pattern papers are from a well-used Raggedy Ann/Andy pattern that has been with me since forever.


The final prompt of Reflect.  The postcard lifts up to reveal even more words I chose to describe my journey.

I'm glad I played along but I don't think I will continue to be a participant going forward.  

I'd rather watch a few of the You Tube videos to learn a new technique or two and use them in my existing projects vs. starting something entirely new.


And for those who may think I've abandoned my love affair with fabric and quilt making, never fear.

I picked up this panel for March and will back it with the last of my Brandon Mably Jungle in green.


Smaragdine is also ready to be pin basted with the Brandon Mably Chips as backing.  I'm still debating on the binding - I think I like this brighter green instead of more of the KF Moss Rose.  I have both sets of strips cut and will decide once the FMQ is completed.

And now, since today is a "snow day" I plan to head upstairs to the studio . . .


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Have fun even if it's not the same kind of fun everyone else is having."
C. S. Lewis

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your 2 binding choices will give such different edgings to the quilt. I think either would work.

Magpie Sue said...

You do find the most appropriate quotes! We're having very cold temps for our region too but no snow where we are. (The mountains have hopefully had some; I haven't checked.) Your January journal is fabulous. Love the little tea bag book. 😊

Robin said...

That's a goodly amount of snow, I wish we had received that much
Hope your having a lovely day in your studio. I loved the quote by C. S. Lewis at the end of your post. We all have fun in our own way.

Barbara Anne said...

Love your amazingly creative and so very interesting books, made with this, that, and the other bits and pieces but all suited for your use - and they'll not be lost, composted, or binned!!

I like the bright green, too.

We've had sleet and snow today but you have more snow than we do.

Hugs!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I enjoyed seeing your pages for Junk Journal January. I'm working a little ahead and finished through Day 20 over the weekend. Best of luck with the binding choice for your St. Patrick's Day quilt, Julie. I usually wait until my project is done and trimmed up before making a final decision about the binding.

Mystic Quilter said...

Super collection of journals snips, when did you make a start of your Journal Journey? I love the colour green so Smaragdine I ind very exciting, I'm in favour of the brighter green for binding.

Paulette said...

The flip-through of your junk journal makes me SO happy! Thanks for sharing it!