Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Looking Ahead after Looking Around



January is a time when I pretty much stop what I'm doing in order to take time to clear my head, clean up, reorganize my priorities,  and re-evaluate my work in progress projects.

This blog post from Elizabeth of OP Quilts landed in my email inbox a few days ago and its timing couldn't have been more perfect.

I adore the idea of a "chuck it" list (click here for the full article).

She also linked off to this article on why you should swap your "bucket" list for a "chuck it" list.

So . . . much . . . food . . . for . . . thought!


After already having done considerable pondering on my own and then taking time to digest those articles, I've been busy in the studio.

Four waiting projects have been scuttled in order to focus on the others that mean more to me.  

Plans for several fabric pulls have been updated to reflect the way I want to work now - more about color stories with less pfaffing about over design.  

Two other projects are being donated to Linda's comfort quilt effort (seventy 2.5" already-cut strips plus several yards of backing fabrics).

I've gone through the bloated paper stash/supplies now that I'm much more comfortable with what I want to make vs. what I see others making online.

I used the money earned from last night's Zoom presentation to improve the filing/storage system for my newly-culled paper stash.

And I'm deleting the oh-so-alluring QAL and online course offerings and meant-to-be-enticing sale notices from my Inbox.


* * *

I've also decided my overarching goal for 2024 is to focus on my four words - colorful, scrappy, eclectic, and liberated.   I'm hoping they will help me do a better job of being ME.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up."
A. A. Milne

11 comments:

Julierose said...

I am slowly culling out extra tools and patterns first; I don't think I will get rid of anymore fabric--I did a big giveaway last year...maybe too big!! [Culler's remorse?]
Anyway I am moving toward adding more precuts with my hand/wrist problem and making smaller items for the most part--[obviously my grandgirls' lap quilts are larger!!].
I want to (shamelssly) "copy" your monthly placemat idea--with matching table toppers...I have Christmas ones in the wings right now..they will be next on my list...so, as usual, I will be a month in arrears hahaha
Hugs Julierose

Robin said...

I look forward to checking out those links. I try to pare down my fabric, patterns, etc. as I go along. But, I always add new things so it's a constant effort. I glad you feel like you're getting back to what makes your happy.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I am more inspired by the fabric I want to use than the pattern most of the time. For me it would mean chucking fabric groups that I'm unlikely to use instead of projects on a list. Less to distract me.

Mari said...

One of the best things I ever did for myself was unsubscribe from marketing emails from literally everyone. The new fabric, new notions, and even new books are just too tempting. Saved a bunch of money, too! A nice side effect. Looking forward to more 'Julie' quilts!

The Joyful Quilter said...

With all that thinking, did you still have time to do any quilting yesterday?!?! BTW... I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation, Julie. I'm SEW glad that the Penn Oak Quilters allowed me to be a "fly on the wall"!!

Nann said...

I've used that Milne/Pooh quote over the years. Your four words are well-chosen. Here's to a productive, satisfying, creative year.

Jeannine said...

I'm in the process of cleaning / organizing / purging my sewing room which has become a dumping ground for me and the whole household. It's overwhelming as I've just let it go too long. I'm doing a 10 minutes set the timer and work on a spot every day method. It takes more time, but it's not as overwhelming as I can always find 10 minutes a day to spend working on it. Every little bit helps. I'm really doing well with being ruthless and making quick decisions on things, which is not my forte. Sometimes the turtle wins the race!

Barbara Anne said...

Stellar article and much needed ideas. I, too, need to chuck things out, donate them, or give some away. There is too much stuff in my way. Thanks for sharing this!

Love the words that will direct your fabric choices and quilts and look forward to seeing your future quilts take shape!

LM is certainly growing up. Sigh!

Hugs!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

What a wealth of thought-provoking ideas here, girlfriend. We have a shop In Philadelphia that accepts fabric donations -- their mission is helping people who don't have a lot of money to learn to sew. I'm hoping this winter to make a trip there with some yardage that I've clearly "outgrown" taste wise. Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the chuck it article. Wise words.
Only a couple of years till the candles will be enough to bake my cake, instead of just decorating it.
Old Quilter

Mystic Quilter said...

Thanks so much for the heads up with the three posts/articles mentioned here - just exactly what I need!!! I am floundering at the moment, procrastinating totally with quilting matters and my room. I shall read later tonight. I've loved reading the steps you're taking Julie, I know I already have two projects with design and fabric ready, neither of which I really want to make a start on, those can go!