After some pondering, I am not going to make a new cover for my slow stitch fabric book.
Instead I added a Dori Patrick sticker on the front to cover up the not-so-pretty butterfly appliqué.
I've also spent some time planning out a bit more about the book's overall layout.
This is page one (so far) with a snippet of lace brought back from my collegiate summer in Finland.
Pages two and three are finished (previously shared).
Page four (left) is finished - the button is old and from one of my foremother's button boxes.
Page five (right) will feature this flower snipped from trim used on the empire waist of a junior bridesmaid dress that I wore when I was thirteen - along with the fragment of crochet trim at the top of the page.
Pages six and seven will feature these snippets of quilting fabric.
Page eight (left) is finished, I think. The mother of pearl button is another oldie.
Page nine (right) echoes the text prints from pages six and seven.
Pages ten and eleven will be anchored by this band of lace that has been in my stash for ages.
Page twelve will feature this darker MOP button, again from a foremother's stash.
This is the outside back cover - no plans to change it.
Clearly there is a LOT of slow stitching yet to be done, but having these anchors on each page leaves me free to stitch with abandon.
I also discovered quite by chance that coffee filters are terrific for containing thread scraps on the go and are easy to crumple up and throw away after each stitching session.
This is the lidded shoe box I'm using to transport the project (PT is going well for younger son - time will tell how many more waiting room sessions I'll have before I do the rest of the stitching here at home).
Not visible is a 4" x 6" photo storage box under the book for my snips, needles, needle threader, thimble, etc.
* * *
Looking ahead, Grandparents' Day at Little Man's school is Tuesday morning - he'll be coming home with us for an overnight since there is no school on Wednesday (the administrators clearly realize that lots of families travel for the long Thanksgiving weekend).
If I don't post again before Thursday, here's wishing each of you a Thanksgiving full of all things good.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"We must find the time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives."
John Fitzgerald Kennedy











8 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving to your and your family, Julie.
Just love the fabric/stitch book. Isn't it wonderful to have a place for all those bits and pieces saved through decades of needlework? My friend and I are working on fabric books and swapping them. We each do a "page" reflecting a theme, once in our own book, then in the other's. It's been so much fun. Hope all goes well with the PT, stitching and waiting. Happy Thanksgiving.
I love the slow stitching book and the memories attached to the various buttons, lace, crochet, and such. Wonderful!
My snippets of cotton thread go in recycling and your clean coffee filters could go in recycling, too. Just sayin', ;)
Have fun with Little Man tomorrow! We'll have a rainy day if the weatherman is correct.
Hugs!
Your fabric book is coming along beautifully. I really like (and will steal) the use of large, old buttons to anchor some of the pages. I agree with Nancy, this sort of project is ideal to giving a home to the stray bits and pieces we can't seem to part with.
That looks like a perfect take along project, nice and compact.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Delightful project, lots of lovely softness within the pages and also memories, very important. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving Julie.
What a lovely keepsake this journal is turning out to be. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Julie!
Love your slow stitch book. I made something similarly this year and can’t wait to start planning one for 2024.
Post a Comment