Tuesday, October 31, 2023

End of October Bits and Pieces


I had held off doing anything to the cover of my Flowers Magic Art Fest journal because I hadn't decided what to do.

And then I knew.

I have started making a journal cover to slip over the binder's cover.  

(click HERE for Wanda's journal cover tutorial)

This photo shows the unpressed slab loosely wrapped around the book's front cover.


And this is the back.  

(the jury is still out which orientation I'll end up using - I think that back might become the front . . . )

It won't take long to get the cover trimmed, quilted, and finished and; since the interior of the book is done aside from a couple of small items I want to add like the book's provenance, the whole thing might be done before the week is out.

For the record, I've named this journal A Garden of Collage (name inspired by a snippet cut from a magazine).


Elsewhere in the studio, Audrey has revealed the name of her QAL - Bramble Blooms.  

So I will use that name as the label for this quilt project here on the blog.

She also suggested we choose fabrics from our recent fabric pull to create the first quilt's center panel.

I've chosen these - none of them are large and some have gaps where sections were cut away, so I need to puzzle out a layout for that center rectangle.


And many months ago, I purchased this blank fabric book from Baumcat, a currently on-break Etsy seller - mostly because I wanted to see how she put it together.

Since then it has sat.


Now, with younger son doing twice-weekly PT for an inflamed rotator cuff (and my ensuing waiting time in their lovely lobby) I've pulled out this book along with four neutrals plus a soft pink No. 5 Perle cotton and have started using a kantha-style stitch to fill each of the pages.

I unstitched the three signatures from the cover and have found myself wondering if I'll end up making my own cover before the book is ultimately reassembled.  

If I had to guess at this moment, my answer would be absolutely YES.

* * *

Again this year we will be holding down the trick-or-treating candy station at elder son's house while he and Mommy take Little Man (a ninja this year) around their neighborhood.

We had our first frost/freeze last night with two more freezing nights on the horizon so the hordes of candy-hunters will likely be wearing coats over their costumes.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion.  Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly."
Franz Kafka 

5 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Love your fabric book and fabric book cover strips! What a delightful way to create unique books for yourself, for family, and for friends.

Those pink and green fabrics are delicious, too.

Wishing your son a quick recovery,

It's cold and damp here and we've below freezing temps coming, too.

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I just love the colors and fabrics. My handstitching is so bad, I haven't even tried the kantha type. It actually wet snowed here for a bit. How demoralizing. I still have some ragged blooms out there. Still some lovely color on the trees especially the ginkgo and Japanese maple. I will be handing out the candy here.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun journal projects, Julie! Enjoy the Bramble Blooms QAL and those calm fabrics you've selected.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice greens for your cover and looking foward to seeing your centre for BB1, I shall be posting today with mine - fingers crossed.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like the idea of a journal cover!!