Wednesday, June 28, 2023

After the Storm


Sunday just after dinner a severe thunderstorm made its way across the greater Memphis area (and beyond after causing damage in Arkansas across the MS River).  The storm was intense to say the least and it left nearly 80% of the Memphis metropolitan area without power, internet, and often cell coverage.

We made it through the first night but when elder son's power came back early Monday, we borrowed his generator to power our freezers, refrigerator, and all three of our CPAP machines.

Since there was no power for anything else, there was no machine stitching to be done.  I paired a bunch of Dumpster Diving 12 pieces, tidied up the studio (during day light hours, of course) and finally decided to work on my Fragments journal.

Above you can see the fabric I chose for the outside cover - hard to use in piecing but glorious for this purpose.


I divided the selected papers into two signatures before designing the inside of the book's covers.


Yesterday once the power returned but internet/cell coverage was still AWOL, I forged ahead and actually covered the empty book cover.  The fabric was first pressed and lightly starched.  I then glued a piece of leftover batting to the book before stretching the fabric tautly around the cover, gluing the folded edges to the inside covers.


While that glue dried, I collaged pieces for the front and back interior covers and glued them in place.

I laid the cover flat and added layers of weight before stopping for the night.


This morning, I divided the two signatures into three (they were just too fat the other way).

This is one of the interior sets of pages . . .


This is another . . . 


And this is yet another.  There should be 100 pages (50 sheets) if things go as planned.

Next step will be to sew the signatures into the spine. 

Wish me luck!

* * *

And obviously the internet at our house has returned since I am now able to post.  For those who didn't get replies to emails and/or comments, please accept my apologies.  While we were definitely inconvenienced and had lots of branches to clean up from our trees, we were so very fortunate compared to those who lost entire trees and/or had tree damage to their homes/vehicles.  And then there are the 32+ thousand who are still without power/internet/cell coverage, including a large number of retailers and other businesses.

DH and several of his fellow woodturners are off this afternoon to deal with a large black walnut tree in the front yard of a friend's house (cut down by the utility company since it was leaning on electrical lines).  In our immediate area, the sounds of generators have been replaced with those of chain saws, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
Instead of sharing a quotation here, I want to share our gratitude for the many utility crews, police and fire departments, other first responders, and everyone else working to get this area back on its feet again.

8 comments:

MissPat said...

Sorry you had such an awful storm go through, but I bet those woodworkers are thrilled to get their hands on that black walnut tree. We don't realizee how much we depend on electricity, until we don't have it for hours or days on end.
Pat

Julierose said...

Love love love that watercolor-ey fabric you chose for the cover!! Just smashing!!:)) Your pages look so pretty--WOW 50--that is a lot...you will have fun working on them I am sure...

I just got a fancy paper-edger punch to add a little pizazz to some of my papers...this junk journaling is SO addictive --but fun!!

Glad to hear you got your power back--boy what terrible storms!! All we've gotten is a little bit of rain--not even any thunderstorms--they all blew away to the north of us with our Ocean breezes...
Take care and stay safe hugs, Julierose

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

So glad that you're okay. We've lived this life on occasion, being rural and heavily wooded where we are; I can sympathize. Your book-making process is fascinating to me. I kept scrolling back and looking at the pics for details, this is wonderful! Stay safe, my friend, and Larry too!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Your book-making continues to fascinate. I'm sorry you had such a terrible storm; we've had those, too (and are prolly due for another any time soon).

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I saw that you were in the severe weather area. That ring of fire hot dome that won't move is causing all kinds of weather problems. I'm glad you are OK.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That was some storm, Julie! Glad you had something to keep you busy during those power-free daylight hours. Such a pretty cover fabric for your new journal! Each time you mention your Fragments journal I think of @fraciscanunes_heartmakes and one her classes. Did you take that class, too?

Barbara Anne said...

So glad to hear that the power is back on and that the lovely black walnut wood will be well used by Larry and co so it will live on in beauty.

Well done in making the most of your pioneer time using sunlight, scissors, rotary cutter, rulers, glue, and your imagination to make your beautiful book cover and interior!

When we were without power for 9 days following Hurricane Isobel in 2003, we made lemonade for the South Carolina power crew that was working on our street as a way to thank them. Couldn't bake because of no power, but the lemonade was appreciated and was cool because of our generator!

Hugs!

Chookyblue...... said...

Glad to hear you had minimal damage.......