Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Better Approach for the HSTs



I was not particularly happy with the mash-mash of fabrics in the previous post. So I spent a morning sorting out the "lights" and the "darks."

You can see the result in these twenty-five HSTs on the design wall.



And then a little here and a little there, I paired and pinned nearly 300 pairs of aboriginal fabrics (shown here in the plastic shoebox).


I need about 80 more HSTs with the black and white alternate.  I have 20 pieced and the rest ready to pair and pin.

Coddiwomple can now return to leader-ender status while I get back to piecing blocks for Razzle-Dazzle.


And we had to say a sad farewell to our mature front yard tree this week -  a victim of Oak Wilt.  

For those who might not be familiar with this term - Oak wilt is considered to be the most important disease of oaks in the eastern United States. Few other diseases encountered in forestry can kill large mature trees as quickly as oak wilt. The disease is caused by a fungus that spreads through a tree’s vascular system. In response, the tree plugs up its vascular system to stop the fungus from spreading, but this also inhibits water movement, so the tree wilts and dies.

(If the video doesn't play properly, you can watch it HERE instead)


Quiltdivajulie


7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The HSTs are looking good!
It's sad to lose a big tree.

Nancy said...

Your triangles look great, Julie, but the highlight/sorrow of this post is the need for your oak tree to be cut down. It breaks my heart to see mature trees damaged by pests and then cut down, especially in a residential area. So sad. We have two ash trees in our yard here in Ohio, both attacked by emerald ash borers. They have a treatment to save the trees but it's expensive. We were only able to preserve the one in front of our house, but we have to continue treatment every two years. I'm sorry for you tree, and you without it.

Barbara Anne said...

I love your HSTs and am sure this quilt will be as wonderful and jazzy as your other quilts are.

I'm so sorry about your Oak tree's fungus that caused the wilt. We've been in our home outside Richmond for 21 years and to our dismay, have lost mature trees to hurricanes that caused the roots to rot and to old age. I didn't even know trees can die of old age. What shall y'all plant to shade your front yard?

Can the oak's lumber be used in your DH's woodshop?

Hugs!

Julierose said...

I really like your new triangle pairings--looks super!!
So sad to lose a big tree like that--we lost our huge apple tree that sat right on the front right side of our property a few years ago--I really miss the Spring flowers it favored us with. It cracked in the hurricane that year and barely missed out house...
Now we have Nellie Stevens hollies at that spot (the deer don't like this variety) --pretty, but not the same really...
Hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

It's always sad to see mature trees succumb to disease and/or bugs. We had to remove 3 mature trees a few years ago. What a difference it made, losing all that shade. Our house is much hotter in the summer.
Pat

Judy in Michigan said...

Sad to lose such a mature tree. Your home is beautiful. Btw, Happy Anniversary to you and Larry.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like that too! I like the contrast in the colors.