Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Time is NOW


Elder son and family gave me a gift certificate to eQuilter last year for my birthday.

I ordered this fabric to use for backing my aboriginals quilt top.

(I've been stashing them for about 18 months now . . . )


Sometime since then, I picked up this yard of fabric to use for binding.


Over the weekend, I decided it was LONG past time to get the stashed aboriginals out of their storage boxes and into the light.

I tested out several fabric combinations/design ideas but none of them excited me until I tried mixing in some of my black and white prints.


Long story short, the fat quarters, half yards, and occasional yards were sorted by color (clearly I am still light on the red/red-orange group).


I then cut a 4.5" strip from each of the fabrics and will sub-cut a 9" length so I can die cut a LOT of 3" half-square triangles (unless I can convince Little Man to help me - grin).



And instead of a wide variety of black and white prints, I decided to use two closely-related prints so the focus stays on the aboriginal prints.  (one is a older print that has been in the stash for a long time; the other is from the Tula Pink Linework series).

Mostly I am delighted to have made enough decisions to move this pending project forward.  And even if I don't start stitching HSTs together for a while, at least I'm over the "I could do this or that or maybe this, etc." hump.

(Note to file;  the rest of the aboriginal fabrics are going back into the stash by color instead of remaining segregated in the project closet)


This is my general plan - unless the layout changes between now and the time it is sewn together - which is highly likely.


Gone Dotty  (now with a smaller, darker border) was also inspired by the same vintage quilt (shared by Cathy L on her blog in November 2021).  I know I am not the only one who has been inspired by its organized chaos.

This time around I want to be much less literal with my HST sets.

Or not.  

It is far too early to tell what will happen between now and layout time.  

Consequently, I have named this project Coddiwomple - that's English slang meaning to travel purposefully towards an as-yet-unknown destination.  

(p.s. there's a Coddiwomple graphic in the side bar that links to a post describing how I find names for my quilts)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Creativity is a continual surprise."
Ray Bradbury

9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

You made a nice start on this quilt, Julie! I think paring down the number of b/w prints to keep the focus on the Aboriginal prints was an excellent idea.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Have fun working on this one. You are brave thinking about separating your Aboriginals by color and mixing them into stash. I can't do that quite yet. Your backing fabric is gorgeous!

Barbara Anne said...

Stellar plans for those wonderful Aussie fabrics! I look forward to see this quilt as it grows from the idea to reality you can hug. What fun!

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

The HST quilts will be amazing with the Australian fabrics, looking forward to a first post!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is going to be ABSOLUTELY wonderful; I have no doubt that there may be a few detours along the way~ all the better! Coddiwomple is such a great word. Actually, Mr. G, Augie and I are heading out on one today- an adventure with an as-of-yet-undetermined destination. I'm packing sandwiches.

Paulette said...

With all those gorgeous prints and great inspiration, I'm so excited for you! Have fun!

Millie said...

LOL!! Over the weekend when we were texting about your proposed plan for your Aboriginal fabrics, I'm pretty sure I said..."Can you do something like your Dotty quilts?"

Gonna be grand!

Hugs,
Lynne

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I love what you're planning for your Aboriginal project, and that backing is perfect.

Nann said...

It's a dilemma: keep fabrics by genre or integrate them. And sometimes, as you discovered, they do play very well with others.