Saturday, March 11, 2023

Incoming


I took this photo in early September 2022 as I was developing the layout for Razzle-Dazzle.

The finished layout has been pinned on that design wall ever since.


Until now.

Working by column I removed each block (in three pieces) and pinned it with its position label before layering the column's blocks on my well-used plates.

Eight columns times eleven blocks = 88 blocks on 88 plates.


Eighty-eight blocks times three pieces each equals 264 pins that are no longer stuck in the design wall.


And for the first time in months, the wall in the design studio is empty.

(for the record, I also removed all of the pieces and parts for Crumb Box Diamonds from the design wall in my sewing studio so it is temporarily empty as well)

And in the photos above, you might have noticed that my journaling play space isn't visible.  That's because it is all temporarily put away in drawers or on high shelves.

I'm sure you are wondering WHY?


Little Man will be here shortly for a three day visit.

He asked several times over the past few visits about making "another quilt."

I've been re-directing him to a series of fun placemats for him to design, make, and then use at home with Mommy and Daddy.  He cheerfully sorted through several of my crumb boxes and has "his" fabrics in a project box so they are "ready" . . . 

SO, if he wants to be in the studio this visit, I have a stack of bright scrappy 5" squares and lots of pins ready.  

I'll challenge him to lay out six sets of squares 5 w x 4 h to make fun backs for his "make them this summer" placemat tops.

Indoors or out, the weekend (and Monday) will be fun.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Don't be afraid to start over.  This time you're not starting from scratch - you're starting from experience."
TheMindsJournal

7 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

How wise of you to prepare for your delightful whirlwind who no doubt will have his own thoughts about fabrics, colors, and patterns. You've taught this little artist well!
Have fun! Take naps ...

Hugs!

Mari said...

Razzle Dazzle is going to be spectacular, but I'm sure the placemats will be even more precious! It sounds like there is another creative quilter in the making. Have a great time!

ButterZ said...

Great planning for your weekend. Hope the placemats are a success.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm sure you are enjoying your weekend with Little Man. Looking forward to seeing what you two found to play with!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I hope you have a great time creating with your grandson. My grandchildren do not want any part of fabric anymore (11 and 13). I would love to share with them. A blank design wall is a big challenge.

Nann said...

You're "serving up" a great new quilt but until then you will have the fun of a new LM creation.

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely a good idea to clear off the design wall, great fun will be had for him having lots of room to place his squares for the placemat backings.I guess you may be passing on joining him on a bike session!