Tuesday, March 14, 2023

The Boy Who Loves Color


It began innocently enough.  

Two stacks of 5" squares purchased long ago PLUS one boy who loves color did NOT equal the backs for a set of six placemats.


After one set of squares was on the design wall he was off with more ideas than a few about how to turn those slabs into a quilt.

After more conversation he told me they don't use placemats that much (may or may not be so) and that they would "use a quilt a lot more."

Who can argue with THAT logic?!


I suggested a new quilt for their ottoman and he happily agreed that would be a "GREAT" idea.

Here he is with his layout.

I am to sew this together sometime before he comes to stay with us in July when we will create the other side of this quilt.


Then he wanted to "make triangles" using the die cutter. 


He organized them into pairs . . . 


. . . and I sewed them together (he does love my thread snips).


Then he decided HE should sew some scrappy bits of binding together (gleaned from my sew-on, sew-off bowl).

By lowering my chair he could "finally!" reach the foot pedal (see photo) and, with my guidance, he did some straight line sewing (but tired of it pretty quickly since it was "hard work to not go too fast").


Those sewn together bits turned into a "pirate headband" which he wore for several hours (and plans to wear on the plane going to his other grandparents' house for Spring Break).

While I webbed the boy-designed HST top for his stuffed tiger's quilt, he worked on a design for its back using some leftover HSTs (3" and 4").


Inspecting the back of the new top before it was pressed while  sucking on one of my sanded lemon drops (who knew he liked lemon drops?!).


More design decisions were made. 

He is leaving Tiger's quilt with me to make a back using the blue geode print and random HSTs. He also picked out the diagonal stripe for the "edges" (aka binding).


And then he was off to feed Mischief some "quilt clip acorns."

* * *

He and Dee Dah spent some time at the skate park with his bike, he watched a couple of Ice Age movies, rode his bike around our block over and over, made a few dozen paper airplanes, played outdoors with the boy who lives next door, and spent time in the shop with Dee Dah where he made and painted two wood cars and colored a set of six wood Easter eggs on the lathe. 

BUSY boy!!

(p.s.  And as much as I 'd love to work back through the stack of comments waiting in my Inbox, I need to request comment amnesty.  I DO appreciate your thoughts and kind words and hope to not get so far behind again any time soon.)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The whole world is a series of miracles, but we're so used to them we call them ordinary things."
Christopher Robin in Winnie the Pooh

11 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

The title says it all :). What a fun (and maybe exhausting) visit you had. Guess you have your homework cut out for you ;-)
I love comment amnesty…sometimes one just needs to call uncle and get a reset.

Paulette said...

What a great time with your color-inspired, busy grandson! He did a great job laying out the big quilt, and the tiger quilt looks perfect for his stuffed little buddy. How fun!

cityquilter grace said...

wow what creativity in that little mind....and love razzle-dazzle!

Mari said...

Looks like you have an artist on your hands! How fun to be able to share this with him. How tired did he make you? :) Comment amnesty is fine-- it's a hobby, not a job!

Elaine Adair said...

Great reason to purchase the die cutters - the kids will love it as well!

Janie said...

Great fun! Thanks for sharing the inspiration and all those plans.

Cathy said...

I remember you said before that his fav color is pink. I noticed he used a lot of pink/red in his new quilt. I like how he looks like he is really concentrating on laying out those squares in just the right order. Can't help but smile when reading this post!

And I remember my granddaughters had a difficult time not stomping on the foot pedal. They each had a little Janome and they constantly cut their thread too short and I kept having to rethread their needles for them. They finally decided to use glue and tape with fabric to make some things for their dolls. Whatever works!

Ann said...

Don’t respond to this comment but I had to tell you this post brought back many memories of sewing with my sons. Thanks!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a happy post with photos of your grandson happily designing with colour! Sounds like you all had a busy three days play time, all good. Love the headband!!

Nann said...

He's got a good eye for color placement. And, wow, he's had quite a growth spurt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a delightful adventure, Julie! Amnesty approved. You've got too much SEW "work" to do for Little Man to worry about catching up on comment responses!